Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041558.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:13:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Little Houghton
National Grid Reference:
SP 80340 59629


LITTLE HOUGHTON BEDFORD ROAD SP8059 (North side) 11/125 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 03/05/68


Church. C13-C15, altered late C18/early C19. Body of church rebuilt 1873 and otherwise restored by Charles Buckeridge at cost of £3,000. Coursed ironstone rubble and coursed squared ironstone with ironstone and limestone dressings, plain-tile and lead roofs. Chancel, organ chamber/vestry, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 3-light east window with C19 reticulated tracery, a 2-light window to north with C19 Decorated tracery and pair of similar windows to south all with hood moulds; diagonal off-set buttresses and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. C19 vestry/organ chamber continues north aisle and has 3-light window to east and north, the latter with straight head, both with hood moulds. Nave has 3-bay clerestory of 1873; 2-light windows with straight heads and hood moulds and plain stone-coped parapet. Aisles have 2-light windows with C19 Decorated style tracery, except for 3-light east window to south aisle with C19 intersecting tracery, all with hood moulds, and plain stone-coped parapets. South aisle overlaps chancel. South door of c.1200 has one order of shafts with leaf-crocket capitals, moulded imposts and round arch with two flat steps; stone to arch of alternating limestone and ironstone. South porch has doorway with 2 orders of polygonal shafts, moulded capitals and triple-chamfered arch. Tower has 3 stages. Pair of C19 cusped 1-light windows to west with hood moulds and chamfered lancet window to next stage north side. C13 former bell-chamber stage has 5 blank arches to each side with round shafts and blocked chamfered lancet windows flanking central blank arch. C15 top stage has 2-light bell-chamber openings with Decorated tracery and hood moulds. Off-set angle buttresses and quatrefoil frieze of limestone to base of battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia grouped with piscina with ogee-arched heads to arches and trefoils to spandrels. Double-chamfered arches to former north and south chancel chapels with polygonal responds. Similar chancel arch. Nave has 3-bay arcades probably both of 1873, with octagonal piers, polygonal responds and double-chamfered arches. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Font has circular bowl with flat attached shafts carrying rough single-scallop capitals, supported by four octagonal colonnettes round central bar stop-chamfered support. C18 charity board. 3 stalls in chancel, possibly continental with winged lion arms and lion's feet. C19 reredos with terracotta panels. C19 stain-glass windows to chancel; east window by Clayton & Bell, c.1873. Monuments: wall monument of coloured marbles to William Ward, d.1737, his wife Bridget, d.1735 and their 7 children erected 1775 by their two surviving daughters Mary and Dorothy by William Cox of Northampton with apron, obelisk background, cartouche of arms and lamp finials. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp293-5; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, pp269-270; Little Houghton Coronation Scrapbook, 1953)

Listing NGR: SP8034059629


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 293-5
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 269-270


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11212/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].