CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041597
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:02:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Brafield on the Green
National Grid Reference:
SP 82215 59060

Details

BRAFIELD ON THE GREEN CHURCH LANE SP85NW (East side) 5/9 Church of St. Lawrence 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C15, restored 1858. Chancel rebuilt 1848 by J.M. Derick, North aisle and arcade rebuilt 1850, porch 1911. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, slate and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window. 2-light windows north and south, all with Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. The walling is of limestone banded with ironstone. Deep hollow-chamfered stone eaves, diagonal offset buttresses and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. Aisles have 2-light windows with Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. South door with pointed arched head in porch with shafts to doorway and double-chamfered arch. Small niche above doorway and paired cusped 1-light windows to sides of porch. 3-stage tower has small door to south with round-arched head and old plank door, 1-light windows either side of large offset buttress to west with hood moulds, a lancet window to middle stage south with hood mould and label stops, and 2-light bell-chamber openings with transom, trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds. Massive diagonal offset buttress, gargoyles to angles and battlemented chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades, that to north C19 with circular piers and elaborate foliage capitals. South arcade has polygonal east and west responds with stiff leaf capitals, one circular pier with basketweave decoration to north side, waterleaf to other sides, and another with keeled shafts to angles, coupled shafts to four sides, and capital with stiff-leaf and carved heads to angles, both with moulded bases and octagonal abaci; double-chamfered arches. Norman font has square bowl with ornament of interlacing semi-circles and circular stem; probably much re-cut. 7-sided panelled pulpit, probably late C18. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p119; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, pp228-9)

Listing NGR: SP8221559060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235409
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 119
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 228-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11077/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].