CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1042627
Date first listed:
28-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042627.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2020 at 16:19:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stannington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 20988 79421

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/05/2016.

NZ 27 NW 8/96 28.4.69 STANNINGTON (South side)

Church of St. Mary the Virgin

(Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE) II

GV

Parish Church. 1871 by R.J. Johnson of Newcastle, incorporating C13 north arcade of medieval church. Squared stone with ashlar dressings; Lakeland slate roofs. 4-bay aisled nave with west tower, south-west choir vestry and south porch; 3-bay chancel with organ chamber. Decorated Gothic style.

Tall 4-stage tower has 3-stepped angle buttresses, and south-west stair turret, string courses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. 3-light west window, paired 2-light belfry openings in square-headed panels. Body of church: plinth, sill string, eaves cornice, moulded parapets. South porch has double boarded doors, with external wooden grid, under pointed arch. 2-, 3- and 4-light windows; lancet clerestorey. Coped gables with finial crosses.

Interior: 4-bay nave arcades have pointed double-chamfered arches and round piers with moulded capitals and bases; both arcades have C13 waterleaf capitals to responds. Double-chamfered tower and chancel arches. Sanctuary has wall arcade with moulded arches on marble shafts.

Good late C19 glass and elaborate wall monument to Lady Ridley d.1899, on south of chancel. Monument to 1st Viscount Ridley d.1904, Secretary of State to Queen Victoria 1895-1900, at east end of north aisle: bronze effigy by Sir. W. Reynolds Stephens on cruciform marble tomb chest by D. Blow. Medieval heraldic glass in organ chamber window, presented to church in 1772 by 2nd Baronet Ridley; carved openwork pulpit, lectern and altar rails, stalls in similar style. Re-set in floor under tower 10 medieval cross-slab grave covers including two with unusual Celtic-style crosses, and late medieval limestone slab with marginal inscription. Also in tower stone with small dancing figure above skull and cable-moulded edges, possibly Pre-Christian.

Listing NGR: NZ2098879421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239001
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00730/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Pearson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].