This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLOCK HOUSE (HEADMASTERS HOUSE OF BRADFORD GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOCK HOUSE (HEADMASTERS HOUSE OF BRADFORD GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

List entry Number: 1045816

Location

CLOCK HOUSE (HEADMASTERS HOUSE OF BRADFORD GRAMMAR SCHOOL), KEIGHLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336684

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 KEIGHLEY ROAD Carr Syke/Manningham BD9

Clock House (Headmaster's house of SE 1535 22/693 Bradford Grammar School)

II

2. Clock House was the principal residence of an estate dating back to the early C17 and probably the C16. It was acquired by Bradford Grammar School in 1936. In appearance the 2-storey sandstone "brick" house is late C18 but the structure incorporates older features from the C17. The south front of 5 bays has chamfered ashlar quoins, plinth, a weathered stringcourse which is probably C17, moulded cornice and parapet with coping. The latter is arched up in centre over an ashlar framed circular opening partially glazed, which is presumed to have contained the clock from which the house derives its name. Set below is a sundial dated 1657 and bearing the initials of John Crabtree, a Manningham yeoman who purchased the estate in 1636. The windows on this front have squared ashlar surrounds, later C19 sashes. Moulded jamb late C17 doorway now blocked, carved frieze with head. Above the doorway is a date stone of 1699 with the initials of Thomas and Elizabeth Crabtree. The gable ends have saddlestones, small shaped kneelers in situ on north side. In the centre of the gables are small 3-light chamfered mullion windows, rounded heads to lights, the centre one taller, diminutive panelled spandrels. Drip moulds stepped up over. These probably date from the late C17. Mid C19 alterations with 2-light windows. Castellated porch to east gable end with round-headed window above. Rear wing of 1895 with tripartite pedimented window. Stone slate roof to main house; large ashlar chimney stack with arcaded panels centred on ridge.

Listing NGR: SE1526335318

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 15263 35318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045816 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:43:05.

End of official listing