THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045898

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, 5, SACOMBE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 19:22:41.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, 5, SACOMBE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sacombe

National Grid Reference: TL 34252 19663

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SACOMBE SACOMBE GREEN TL 31 NW (Northeast side) Sacombe 4/104 No. 5 24.11.66 (The Old Rectory) - II

House. Early to mid C16. Extended, raised, floored and heated mid C17, altered C20. Timber frame exposed with plastered infill, some later brick casing. Tiled roof. Originally a 2 bay open hall extended to right with a lobby entrance bay and lower cross wing, staircase wing to rear, hall range raised a storey, floor inserted just below former head of hall. Now all 2 storeys with attic on hall range. Hall range to front has lower C20 brick casing with 2 C20 3 light leaded casements. Upper level of hall has exposed close studding, curved passing tension brace to left. Former diagonal mullioned window to right. C17 upper level has studding and passing tension brace of thin scantling. C20 3 light casement. Lobby entry bay to right has C20 brick and timber gabled porch. First floor projecting slightly with a 2 light casement, studding of thin scantling. Cross wing to far right also has thin scantling, 3 light C20 casements. First floor jettied on thin joists, jowled posts, braces to tie beam, struts to clasped purlins. C17 cross axial stack on entrance bay has moulded cornice to 6 conjoined diagonally set shafts. Right return has similar framing, 3 light casements. Left gable end of hall has similar exposed framing of C16 and C17, jowled posts to clasped purlin roof. C20 casements. First floor 2 blocked diagonal mullioned windows, 2 light leaded casement in attic. To rear a catslide roof over a C17 2 storey short lean-to outshut from hall. To rear of entrance bay is gabled stair wing, C17 framing. Cross wing extends further to rear. Interior: stop chamfered binding beams, parlour and first floor fireplaces have 4 centred chamfered brick arches with stopped jambs. Hall fireplace has chamfered lintel with Jacobean panelled surround, 3 arched panels with lozenges and fluted pilasters. Curved windbraces. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.10, pt.2, 1938, p.254: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3425219663

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 356212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Transactions' in East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Transactions, , Vol. 10, (1938), 254

End of official listing