CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046008.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:25:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 76812 54367
SK 75 SE AVERHAM CHURCH LANE
9/7 Church of St. Michael 11-8-61
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C19. Chancel restored 1857 by C. Bailey. Further restored 1858 and 1907. Re-roofed 1865. Herringbone rubble, coursed squared rubble, ashlar, brick, rendered, with plain tile roof and leaded chancel gable. West tower, nave, chancel, north chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, Cll, C13 and C15, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, coved string course, coved eaves band with 8 Romanesque style gargoyles, crenellated parapet with shields in panels and 8 crocketed pinnacles. 4 diagonal buttresses, 5 and 3 setoffs, those to east engaged with nave. That to south west has rebus with moulded hood. First stage has to south, clock. To west, C14 double lancet with cusped heads and Decorated tracery, chamfered mullion, chamfered and rebated reveal, and hood mould. Above, clock. Second stage has 4 C14 double lancet openings with cusped heads, Decorated tracery, coved mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals with hood moulds. Nave, 4 bays, has 4 diagonal buttresses, 2 intermediate buttresses to north and single buttress to south, all 3 setoffs with plinths and string courses. North side has to east 2 C15 restored triple lancets with ogee heads, panel tracery, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals with four centred arched heads and hood moulds. To west, a blocked C15 doorway with coved and roll moulded surround. To west again, a restored C15 triple lancet with cusped trefoil heads, coved mullions, splayed and rebated reveal with four centred arched head and hood mould with mask stops. South side has 3 restored C15 triple lancets like those on north side. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north a C13 double lancet with geometrical tracery, mullion with ringed shaft, chamfered and roll moulded reveal and hood mould with mask stops. East end has early C14 quintuple lancet with interesecting tracery and ogee quatrefoil head, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould with mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door with cove moulded surround and hood mould with mask stops. To west a restored C15 triple lancet with coved mullions, chamfered and rebated surround and hood mould. To east, a partly restored C13 triple lancet with geometrical tracery, roll moulded mullions, chamfered reveal and hood mould with mask stops. North chancel chapel has chamfered plinth, string course, coped ashlar parapet and north gable with cross. Gable has C15 style double lancet with coved reveal and hood mould with mask stops. East side has central pointed doorway with chamfered reveal. South porch, early C16, has 3 string courses, 4 gargoyles, gabled crenellated parapet with cross. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs plus plinths. Restored south doorway has double cove and roll moulding and hood mould. Above, 3 sets of Arms referring to Sir Thomas Sutton. Above again, central pilaster with angel corbel. Interior has stone benches, and C16 principal rafter roof with moulded timbers and curved braces. Inner south doorway, C15, has restored double cove and roll moulded surround with C19 painted text. Door has traceried panels and ornate C18 hinges. Aisleless nave has re-set C16 corbels on each side. East end has to north a C14 depressed ogee headed tomb recess with Sutton rebus and blank shields in spandrels, containing slab with moulded edges, foliate cross and Norman French inscription. South side has C16 moulded elliptical tomb recess with foliate bosses and Arms in traceried panel in tympanum, containing late C14 slab with male figure. North side windows have stained glass 1888, c.1905 and c.1913. South side has stained glass c.1882, and 2 windows with C19 patterned glass and fragments. Roof, 1865, in C14 style. Some C16 foliate and mask corbels carrying arched braces to tie beams, and further curved brackets above, all with pierced spandrels. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould and mask stops, octagonal imposts with moulded bases and mask and monster capitals with foliage. Tower chamber has west window with patterned stained glass. Upper tower chamber contains wall paintings. Chancel has traceried panelled Perpendicular screen, partly restored, with inscribed crest and cross. East end has a re-set corbel each side of the window. To south, a C14 cusped trefoil headed piscina. North window has fragments of C14 stained glass assembled by Rev. J. H. Sutton, 1885. East window has re-used C15 stained glass from Kelham Hall and C19 stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. South windows have early C19 stained glass fragments and patterned C19 stained glass. Vaulted panelled timber roof, 1865, with stencilled decoration. North aisle chapel, now vestry,, has no architectural features. Fittings include panelled dado to nave and chancel, crested south doorcase and moulded benches, all by Hodgson Fowler for the Walker family, 1890. Part of chancel dado renewed 1978. Some C19 chairs and a panelled bench with arms. C19 octagonal traceried panelled pulpit. Small C19 octagonal font on octagonal base and stem, with crocketed pierced spire cover. 2 C14 traceried panelled oak stalls. Traceried panelled C20 stalls and desks. 2 C18 stools and C17 table with bulbous turned legs and low stretchers. Monuments include painted alabaster Renaissance Revival style tomb of Sir W. Sutton and wife, 1607. Moulded rectangular base with corner pilasters with panels of Arms, recessed central panel with 2 scrolled cartouches with Arms, and above, 2 inscribed tablets. Above, a pair of Ionic type columns on strapwork bases, carrying projecting entablature with strapwork frieze, Arms and dentillated cornice, flanking a pair of reclining figures. At rear, round headed recess with coffered soffit, containing moulded. inscribed panel. Above again, dentillated plinth carrying strapwork base with round panel with Arms and crest in the form of a rose in a ring. Flanked by single corniced dice with Arms. Large marble and alabaster wall monument to Lord Lexington, 1668. Draped square inscribed panel on brackets. Above, panel with Arms, and above again, a swagged panel of Arms with supporters, with crest in the form offluted eggcup containing egg. Classical style wall monument marble and slate, with shaped surround, pedimented inscribed tablet, cornice with flanking urns, and obelisk with cartouche. To Rev Richard Sutton, 1785. C18 carved and painted Royal Arms, 2 metal commandment boards, commemorative brasses 1858, 1865, 1901, 1907. 2 hatchments, 2 C20 brasses. Traceried timber war memorial 1918, and wood tablet, 1945.
Listing NGR: SK7680754368
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/137961
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27058
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27059
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing