CASTLE END MONKS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1046345
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
05-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CASTLE END, CASTLE STREET
Statutory Address:
MONKS COURT, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE END
MONKS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046345 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:18:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASTLE END, CASTLE STREET
Statutory Address:
MONKS COURT, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Deddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 47009 31700

Details

SP43SE DEDDINGTON CASTLE STREET (South side) 3/150 Castle End and Monks Court 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Castle End)

II* Large farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Early C16 and 1647 (on datestone), altered and extended late C18. Marlstone rubble with ashlar dressings and wooden lintels; coursed squared marlstone with limestone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. 4-unit plan in 2 builds with added outshut and rear wings. 2 storeys and 2 storeys plus attic. Rubble right half of front is at least partly C16 or earlier, but now has three 16-pane late-C18 sashes at each floor, all with wooden lintels. To left of the windows a fine 4-centre-arched C16 moulded stone doorway with label is sheltered by a 2-storey porch, with a 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window above a moulded stone doorway (probably restored) with moulded label and lozenge stops; the gable has a panel inscribed 1647. Probably contemporary, although without the chamfered plinth, is the 3-window range to left, which has similar mullioned windows of 2, 3 and 5 lights aligned below 2 stone gables, and has an additional 2-light window without a label set between the first-floor windows; the ground-floor windows are unusually large but are probably C17. Left end wall has further mullioned windows. Steep-pitched roof has stacks to both gables and to right of centre. Right gable all is rebuilt and returns to a late-C17/C18 rear wing with later windows. To rear of main range a late-C18 outshut, now partly raised, includes a higher section containing a tall arched stair window with Gothick glazing bars; at the left end of the range the outshut extends to rear to link with a small C18 range, probably originally stable and loft, now part of Monks Court. Interior: right half of Castle End has stop-chamfered cross beams and a 2-bay roof. The central truss, with collar and cambered chamfered tiebeam, supports 2 rows of butt purlins. The roof may be early C18 or earlier. Left half has a 2-bay early-C16 roof, with trenched purlins and a ridge beam supported on a fine arch-braced collar truss worked with hollow chamfers. A large Tudor-arched stone fireplace with recessed spandrels and an arched single-light window (now internal) survive at first floor and are probably contemporary with the roof. Monks Court retains a mid-C17 open fireplace with the bressumer chamfer returning down the jambs, but was re-modelled internally late C18 and has joinery of that date, including a stair with stick balusters and an inlaid ramped and wreathed mahogany handrail; the stair hall has a 4-centred plaster vault. The second early-C16 truss illustrated by Wood Jones has been destroyed by the construction of a party wall. There is no evidence of the open hall, but it is likely to have occupied the site of Monks Court. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p571; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p97; R. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963, pp222-224)

Listing NGR: SP4700931700

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243874
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 571
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 97
Wood-Jones, R B, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, (1963), 222-224

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07088/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Madsen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].