Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046428.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:27:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cherwell (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 52301 31691


SOULDERN CHURCH LANE SP5231 (North side) 14/80 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66


Church. Mid-C12 north wall and doorway. Romanesque tower and tower arch rebuilt by G.F. Bodley in 1906 re-using the old materials. Foundations of apsidal Romanesque chancel discovered in 1896. South aisle added in late C12 and rebuilt in the C14 re-using the Romanesque round piers but employing new pointed arches and the capitals of the responds carved with heads. Corbel table of similar heads on the south wall added by T. Rickman in the early C19. Chancel rebuilt in the C18 and again in 1897 by Sir Ninian Comper. Coursed and squared coursed limestone rubble. South aisle has lead roof, others not visible. Chancel, nave, south aisle and porch, west tower. Chancel has renewed Decorated and Perpendicular style windows in ironstone: 4-light on east, 2- and 3-light on south and 2-light on north. Renewed priest's door on north. Diagonal and clasping buttresses. Shallow parapet. Nave has Romanesque north doorway. Two 2-light Perpendicular windows with square heads, and hood moulds and label stops on north. Both north and south clerestorys have 4 small square Decorated windows. Shallow stone parapets. South aisle. 3-light window with reticulated tracery. 2- and 3-light Decorated windows flanking porch and 3-light window with intersecting tracery on west. Diagonal buttresses, gargoyle and corbel table with carved heads. Shallow stone parapet. C15 south porch has wide pointed arched doorway, stone bench seats and stoup. South doorway has a pointed arched head with hood moulds with head stops. West tower of 4 stages with strings to 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages. 2-light Romanesque opening to bell-turret. Parapet. Interior: chancel has 4-bay C19 roof. Nave has an arched tie beam roof. South aisle has original C14 roof. Chancel arch has foliage and carved head on the responds indicating a rebuilding of c.1300. Three-bay south arcade. North wall has remains of a large St. Christopher. C12 tub font. Chancel has 3 brasses. One to Thomas Warner dated 1514 and another to an unknown woman, C16. Also a heart with scrolls c.1460, the original inscription has been replaced by a C16 inscription to J. Throckmorton. Wall memorial in chancel to Thomas Hardinge dated 1648. C19 reading desk, pulpit and pews. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp768-9; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI: pp309-311)

Listing NGR: SP5230131691


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 768-9
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 309-311


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05260/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].