This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1046510



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Launton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



13/87 Greyhound House


- II

Inn, now house. 1682 on datestones. Limestone rubble with wooden lintels; old plain-tile roof with brick gable stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys plus attics. 4-window front has renewed cross windows to both floors plus the entrance, to left of centre, in a C20 porch. Datestones between first-floor windows are inscribed "16", "0/WI" and "82". Roof has paired stacks to right and is hipped to left, returning over the rear wing with a roof dormer facing left. Left side has a 4-window range of similar renewed cross windows including a stair window; all have C20 lattice glazing. Rear gable has a stone parapet, paired brick stacks, and single-light windows, some blocked. C20 extension in angle of ranges. Interior: large open fireplace with bread oven, partly rebuilt: heavy stop-chamfered beams; upper flight of C17 dogleg stair with heavy turned balusters; first-floor fireplace with curved interior, herringbone-brick reredos and brick flat arch; butt-purl in roof with jointed rafters. Probably built as a farmhouse for members of the Deeley family. Ceased to be an inn in 1900. (V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.VI, p.233).

Listing NGR: SP6083022518

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 233

National Grid Reference: SP 60830 22518


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:11:33.

End of official listing