THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1046539

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, THE WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:34:17.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, THE WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Islip

National Grid Reference: SP 52731 13996

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLIP THE WALK SP5214, SP5213 (East side) 12/90, 13/90 The Old Rectory 26/11/51 GV II* Rectory, now house. 1689-90 for Dr. Robert South, Rector, restored 1807 for Dean Vincent, enlarged mid C19. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with ashlar gable stacks. Double-pile plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Garden front includes the original symmetrical 5-window front with chamfered rusticated quoins and keyblock arches (segmental at ground floor); windows all have 12-pane C18 sashes, and the glazed central door has a canopy on richly-carved console brackets. Double-span roof has a C19/C20 cornice, gable parapets, and has 2 hipped C18 roof dormers. The 2-storey, 2-window C19 range to left has segmental-arched sashes and a central glazed door. A lead downpipe to left of the main door has an elaborate hopperhead with a cartouche enclosing the inscription "RS/DD" above the date 1689. This is shown on a late C17 engraving, which also shows cross windows and 3 pedimented dormers. Left gable wall of main block has a large sundial on the parapet wall, linking the chimneys. Rear of main range now the entrance front, has a 3-window arrangement of segmental-arched leaded cross windows, the central window at half height over a low doorway; the doorway inserted into the right window opening has an old 6-panel door with console brackets to the canopy similar to those on the garden front; to left of the low doorway is a small oval window. The roof has a moulded wooden cornice, possibly original, and 3 hipped roof dormers. C19 single-bay extension to right. Short range projecting on left, and linking to the tithe barn range (q.v.) has a tall cross window and a doorway with a further similar canopy. Interior: broad late C17 dogleg stair, to first floor, with barleytwist balusters; secondary dogleg stairs, at either end of the spine passage, rise to attics with turned balusters and may be early C18. Oak bolection-mould panelling of dining room is probably early C20. 3 heavy 4-centre arched chamfered wooden doorframes in the cellar may have been re-used from an earlier building. The house was used by several Deans of Westminster who held the living in plurality. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.207; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.664).

Listing NGR: SP5273113996

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243332

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 664
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 207

End of official listing