MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046785

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAY, MANOR FARM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 04:48:09.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAY, MANOR FARM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Wroxton

National Grid Reference: SP 38992 41632

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WROXTON MANOR FARM LANE SP3840, SP3941 (South side) Balscote 8/234, 9/234 Manor Farmhouse and attached 08/12/55 walls and gateway (Formerly listed as Manor House II Manor house now farmhouse. C17 with C18 alterations and additions. Walls and gateway. C17 and C18. Walls approximately 2 metres high. Regular coursed ironstone rubble with stone coping. Piers have cornices and ball finials. 2 clasping buttresses. Farmhouse: Elevation to road. Coursed ironstone rubble and squared coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply pitched stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. Blue brick ridge stack, rendered ridge stack with renewed brick shaft and stone ridge stack. Stone coped gables. L-plan. 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration of 3-window range. C17 part of 2 builds on right is situated gable on to road. C18 wing attached to left. C17 part has a C20 French door, and a 3-light casement with a renewed wood lintel. In the gable is a re-set C13 window of 2-lights under a semi-circular wood. The tympanum is incized with intersecting circles. Badly weathered. C18 part on left has a C18 sash with keyblock stone head and a 2-light stone mullioned window on the ground floor. Two sashes on first floor. Pediment with round window. Right side (west) of C17 part. Entrance has stable door with wood lintel and is flanked by 4-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops. Two 3-light similar windows to first floor. Interior. C17 part has inglenook fireplace with chamfered beam, stop-chamfered beam, partly renewed wood winder staircase and stone flag floors. C18 part has C18 panelled cupboards, boxed beams, sashes with panelled reveals and shutters and a moulded wood cornice. Said to have been the site of the home of the Belet family of which Michael founded Wroxton Priory in 1217. Noted as the chief house in the village in the C17 when it was occupied by the Sacheverell family. Assessed on 7 hearths in 1665 and figures in maps of 1677 and 1684. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p428; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p175; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol II, p101; Oxford Archaeology Soc. Rep. No.84, (1938), p55)

Listing NGR: SP3899241632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 244791

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 428
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1907), 101
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 175
'Oxford Archaeology Society Report' in Report Number 84, (1938), 55

End of official listing