This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1046881

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, SOMERTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ardley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244528

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARDLEY SOMERTON ROAD SP52NW (North side) 3/3 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66 GV II*

Church. C14 (possibly partly earlier) and 1792, restored 1865. Limestone and some marlstone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings; limestone ashlar; Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, nave and west tower. C14 rubble chancel has good flowing tracery in the 3-light east window and in the 2-light windows to west of it; the 2 westernmost windows are square headed but may be of the same date, that to south with a blocked lower section below a transom. C14 priest's door. Plain ashlar nave of 1792 has 3 simple pointed windows each side, the middle window to south blocked. The saddleback-roofed tower, which has c14 diagonal buttresses and marlstone banding to its lower stages, has a pointed western doorway of c.1792 below a square-headed 2-light C14 window. The limestone rubble of the upper stage looks earlier and there are simple 2-light openings to the top stage facing north and south, which may be Romanesque. Interior: Chancel has an unusual C13 double recess, one half of which is a piscina; it has linked trefoiled heads with a central piercing, and the jambs are ornamented with dogtooth. To north is an elaborately-cusped ogee-headed C14 tomb recess. The plain chancel arch has C13 detached shafts with moulded capitals, but the northern base may be earlier, The tower arch is probably C14 but is partly concealed by a western gallery of 1834. Fittings include a C12 tub font and two C17 chests, There is a wall monument of 1753 in the chancel, and several plainer tablets. (VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p13; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, pp422-3)

Listing NGR: SP5424227371

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 422-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 13

National Grid Reference: SP 54242 27371

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 05:24:34.

End of official listing