This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

List entry Number: 1046906

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC), SOUTH BAR STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Banbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Feb-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244483

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BANBURY SOUTH BAR STREET SP4540SW (East side) 9/183 Church of St. John the 08/07/75 Evangelist (R.C.) (Formerly listed as Church of St. John the Evangelist (Roman Catholic and adjoining Presbytery to south) GV II

Church. 1838 by Hickman and Derick of Oxford. Chancel and painted decoration attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (Prof. Pheobe Stanton). Gothic-revival style. Limestone ashlar, ironstone plinth, lead roof. Chancel, nave, west tower. Embattled chancel has east window of 3 lights with traceried pointed arched head which is flanked by 2 similar 2-light windows. Hipped roof. Nave: 5 bays divided by buttresses. Five 2-light pointed arched windows with traceried heads and hood moulds. West tower: 4 stages. West doorway has wooden door, moulded and chamfered jambs and spandrels with quatrefoil decoration. Niche above door has traceried canopy and figure with eagle on pedestal. Clock at third stage. Bell stage above has 2-light louvred windows with hood moulds. West end of nave has flanking niches with traceried heads and figures standing on pilasters. Interior: chancel has painted vaulted roof supported on 4 slender columns. Painted aumbry. Vaulted nave roof. Slender columns with foliated capitals. Balcony. Stone relief below the altar of the Crucifixion c.1400 from the old parish church. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.437; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, p.107).

Listing NGR: SP4536740157

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 437
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 107

National Grid Reference: SP 45367 40157

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 08:32:21.

End of official listing