CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047067
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY, WOODSTOCK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047067.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Jun-2021 at 10:27:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY, WOODSTOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51023 07121

Details



612/3/868 WOODSTOCK ROAD 28-JUN-72 (West side) CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY

GV II



WOODSTOCK ROAD 1. 1485 (West Side) Chapel of St Luke, Radcliffe Infirmary SP 5107 SW 3/868 II GV 2. Chapel. 1865. By A.W. Blomfield. Coursed rubble, stone tracery and red tile steeply pitched roof with bell turret. Early English Gothic chapel to the Radcliffe Infirmary to which it is connected by a pitched-roof corridor. Chapel forms one side of the courtyard in front of the Infirmary.

PLAN: Rectangular plan of 5 bays plus chancel. Transept porch to south wall under bellcote. Connected to main block by 4-bay corridor.

INTERIOR: Bays marked by wood trusses with cusped underside. Each bay has window with pair of narrow cusped lancets surmounted by pointed trefoils and quatrefoils with carved hood stops. East end window of three stepped lancets framed by tall colonnettes with small capitals supporting thin roll mouldings and foliate roundels in the spandrels; glass depicts nine miracles of healing and the Resurrection possibly designed by Holiday. Ventilation roundel to east gable. Cusped-head plaque to south wall commemorates Thomas Combe, d.1872 and the consecration of the chapel on 7 June 1865.

EXTERIOR: South elevation facing courtyard has buttresses, lancets and sominated by entrance portal to west end. Portal has gabled surround and segmental-headed doorway with pointed tympanum carved with Christ as Good Shepherd flanked by kneeling angels. Capitals carved with stiff-leaf foliage and stiff-lead roundel in the apex of the gable. Bellcote to east end of south wall. Connected to main block by 4-bay corridor with pitched stone slate roof.

HISTORY: Infirmary chapel was housed in the main block of the Radcliffe Infirmary above the Board Room until this new Chapel was built.

The Radcliffe Infirmary Buildings form a group.



Listing NGR: SP5102207120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245942
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06518/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Jennie Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].