THE NUFFIELD INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH THE RADCLIFFE OBSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1047070
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
THE NUFFIELD INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH, WOODSTOCK ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE RADCLIFFE OBSERVATORY, WOODSTOCK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NUFFIELD INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH
THE RADCLIFFE OBSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:46:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE NUFFIELD INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH, WOODSTOCK ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE RADCLIFFE OBSERVATORY, WOODSTOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 50904 07163

Details

WOODSTOCK ROAD 1. 1485 (West Side) The Radcliffe Observatory (Now the Nuffield Institute for Medical Research) SP 5007 SE 2/100 12.1.54. I 2. Built to the designs of Henry Keene from the benefaction of Dr John Radcliffe in "a calm and retired locality". The first stone was laid June 27, 1772 but in consequence of Keene's death the whole was not completed until 1795. The dwellinghouse, the 2 wings and the central part up as far as the platform were built of Headington Stone before Keene's death in 1776. James Wyatt, who succeeded Keene as architect, altered some of the external parts and raised the upper octagon building, basing it on the design of the Tower of the Winds; James Pears, of Oxford, was the contractor. The front extends 175 feet, each of the wings being 69 feet long and the top of the tower is about 106 feet from the ground. The 3rd storey consists of the octagonal tower, with 8 sculptures of the winds on the entablature and a large globe supported by bronze figures of Hercules and Atlas at the top, executed by John Bacon, RA (DNB). The bas reliefs, under the platform, represent the signs of the zodiac and the rising moon and setting sun and were modelled in Coade stone by Rossi, RA (DNB). The interior has contemporary and notable fittings including furniture designed by Wyatt. A curved covered way on the ground floor joins the East wing of the Observatory with the dwelling house on the East (see Oxf His Soc. XLI (1901) 319).

Listing NGR: SP5098107222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245947
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 41, (1901), 319

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06518/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Jennie Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].