118, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047257
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
118, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 23:35:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
118, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51492 06202

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (South Side) No 118 SP 5106 SW 8/338 12.1.54. II* GV 2. House and shop. RCHM 71. Probably C16 in origin with a 3-storeyed Cl9 refronting of stuccoed timber-framing with a moulded eaves cornice and parapet. There are cellars. The 1st and 2nd floors each have 2-light windows with casements below the transoms, the upper lights above the transoms having semi-circular heads; all are in moulded wood frames with cornices. The western window in the 1st floor has 3 lights in a projecting bay. At the back on South are two cement-faced gables which may be of the lst house. The interior has some C17 panelling on the ground and 1st floors. This was discovered in 1970 to hide a very fine late C16 wall-painting in the rear upper room. Downstairs is a C16 fireplace. The whole extensively restored 1970-1 and new shopfront.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5149406198

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245532
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16132/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].