CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047387
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047387 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 23:00:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Rotherfield Greys
National Grid Reference:
SU 72648 82316

Details

ROTHERFIELD GREYS SU78SW 6/117 Church of St. Nicholas 09/02/59 (Formerly listed as Church of Holy Trinity) GV II*

Church and chapel. Romanesque, early C17 chapel, restoration in 1865 by W. Woodman. Red brick base; flint with stone dressing, partly rendered to chapel; plain tile roof. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, with Knollys chapel to north. C19 studded door to right of centre with gabled flint porch with tile roof. Reset medieval tiles to floor. Blocked Romanesque doorway to left. C19 paired lancet to centre and single lancet to right. Knollys chapel projects forward at left. Polygonal end with central 3-light plate tracery window flanked by buttresses and with cross-gable above; 2-light plate tracery windows to left and right returns. West end: Lancet window with quatrefoil window above, flanked by stopped buttresses. South side: C19 lancet windows except square window to centre of nave. Bell tower rises from ridge; tile hung base; timber- frame chamber; tiled spire. Interior: C12 font, square with recessed shafts with water-leaf and stiff-leaf capitals to corners. Brass to Lord Robert de Grey of c.1387 in front of altar. Monument in Knollys chapel; of painted alabaster and marble; recumbent effigies of Sir Frances and Lady Knollys with kneeling figures of children to sides. On canopy above; Lord William and Lady Knollys before a prayer desk. C17 stained glass heraldic shields in Knollys chapel. History: Knollys chapel added by William Knollys, first Earl of Banbury owner of Greys Court (q.v.) in 1605. Lord Robert de Grey was an earlier owner of Greys Court. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, p.734-5; Saint Nicholas Rotherfield Greys, Guide book, 1981).

Listing NGR: SU7264882316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247139
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saint Nicholas Rotherfield Greys Guide Book, (1981)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 734-735

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00978/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rolf Richardson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].