GOTHIC TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES TO EAST OF SHOTOVER PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1047629

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: GOTHIC TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES TO EAST OF SHOTOVER PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of GOTHIC TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES TO EAST OF SHOTOVER PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:54:25.

Location

Statutory Address: GOTHIC TEMPLE APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES TO EAST OF SHOTOVER PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Forest Hill with Shotover

National Grid Reference: SP 58994 06726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOREST HILL WITH SHOTOVER SHOTOVER SP50NE 5/82 Gothic Temple approx. 600m. to 18/07/63 E of Shotover Park

GV II*

Garden temple or boathouse. c.1740. Possibly by William Townsend of Oxford for General James Tyrrell. Limestone ashlar and rubble; old plain-tile roof. Gothick style. Gabled front, with crenellated parapet bearing an apex finial, has 3 pointed arches and a blind traceried wheel between triangular panels. Flanking octagonal turrets have 2-tiers of cusped ogee panels and niches, steep triangular gablets on attached angle shafts, and recessed upper stages which terminate in a tier of openings. Sides and rear are in plain rubble with a hipped roof. Interior: Open loggia has a ribbed and panelled plaster vault with Gothick cusping and decorative bosses. The temple lies at the eastern end of the main axis of the important early C18 layout of the formal garden. James Gibbs and William Kent have also been suggested as its designer. (C. Hussey, Country Life, Vol.LIX, pp.240-6; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V. p.276; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, p.765).

Listing NGR: SP5899406726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 246602

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 276
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 59, (), 240-6
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

End of official listing