Ripon College

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047715
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
Ripon College, Cuddesdon

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ripon College
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 23:30:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Ripon College, Cuddesdon

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Cuddesdon and Denton
National Grid Reference:
SP5991803206

Details

SP 5903 5/9

CUDDESDON AND DENTON CUDDESDON Ripon College (Formerly listed as Cuddesdon Theological College)

19/01/73

GV II* Theological College. 1853-54 and 1873-78, extended 1904 and later. By G.E Street; extension by Spencer Slingsby Stallwood. Squared coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof with crested ridge and stone stacks. Built on the west, then north and finally south sides of the entrance court.

The four bay main range, in French Gothic style is of two storeys plus attics and has a projecting lateral stack flanked by gabled dormers with bracketed half-hipped roofs below which the irregular fenestration is grouped at each floor. Octagonal corner-turret to right. Left bay is obscured by the 1904 wing in Tudor Gothic style. To right is a short two storey range with a three bay traceried arcade and, at first floor, a large oriel window with moulded corbelling rising from a respond and a tall hipped roof. To right is a three storey cross-wing with a shingle covered bellcote on the roof. A rose window in the gable is the east window of the former chapel. The Gothic-arched entrance is in this block.

Adjacent, and forming the north side of the court is Street's later range. The first floor chapel has a three-light east window with Geometrical tracery and two-light side windows. Groups of three and four trefoil-headed lancets to the ground-floor hall with episcopal arms on the gable-wall. A corresponding range to the west of the main block is of two storeys plus attics and has three high gabled dormers and an archway at the junction leading to a through passage with ribbed vault. A two storey domestic range runs northwards.

Interior: the chapel is reported as having painted panelled ceiling and stained glass, the remains of a decorative scheme of 1875-77 by Clayton and Bell. Not inspected.

The forecourt is enclosed on the east by a low stone wall with tapered coping, and a buttressed pointed entrance arch with gablet and foliated finial on the top coping. The College was Street's first important work.

Listing NGR: SP5991803206

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246397
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 563-4
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 101

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15440/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].