NEWINGTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048070
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
NEWINGTON HOUSE, A329

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWINGTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 12:40:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWINGTON HOUSE, A329

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Newington
National Grid Reference:
SU 60861 96460

Details

NEWINGTON A329 SU6096 (West side) 15/41 Newington House 18/07/63

GV II*

Country house. c.1635 for Walter Dunch, altered c.1680 for Henry Dunch and re-modelled 1777 for George White. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate roof with stone stacks. Double-pile plan. 3 storeys plus basement. Symmetrical 7-window front, with rusticated quoins, moulded first-floor storey band and cornice below the top storey, has a central doorway with stone bolection doorcase, 8-panel double-leaf doors and a late C18 Corinthian porch. Windows have moulded stone architraves and 12-pane sashes except basement windows which have a rectangular stone mullion. Garden front is similar but has no porch and the door architrave is as the windows. Both front and rear entrances retain evidence for demolished segmental pediments. Double-span hipped roofs are concealed by plain parapets. To right of the main range is a single-storey late C18 service wing with 2 large Diocletian windows at the rear. Lead rainwater heads on the main range are inscribed "GW 1777". Interior: original features include the basement, with stop-chamfered beams and the remains of a very large fireplace with chamfered stone jambs, and at ground floor a timber-framed partition, formerly the wall of a closet, which has studs flush with the plaster and retains a painted skirting. A built-in doorcase between stair hall and saloon may also be original. The 3 principal rooms to rear and the stair hall all have good late C18 marble fireplaces and plaster cornices; the panelled saloon has fluting and medallions on doorcases and cornice, matching the porch decoration, and the hall has a deep triglyph frieze and mutule cornice with a triangular pediment to the saloon doorcase. The open-well stair has cantilevered oak treads and a ramped and wreathed handrail. The roof dates from the addition of the second floor in 1777 but retains timbers Iron the roof of c.1680, the tie beams of which survive insitu. It had a central platform and replaced the similar original roof for which there is evidence of a lower pitch. There is an elaborate system of drainage tunnels around the basement. The spacing of the front windows, in overlapping triplets, and many details of the plan bear a strong resemblance to Rubens' engravings of the Pallavicini Palace in his "Palazzi di Genova", published 1622. Dunch was closely related by marriage to the Pallavicini family. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.716; C. Maltin: Newington House, 1985).

Listing NGR: SU6086196460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248278
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maltin, C , Newington House, (1985)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 716

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15876/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].