MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1048351

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048351 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 16:47:32.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Lyford

National Grid Reference: SU 38954 94307

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU39SE 7/132 06/08/52 LYFORD THE GREEN (North side) Manor Farmhouse and attached wall (Formerly listed as The Manor House)

GII Farmhouse. Late C16, with early C17 extension dated 1617, for the Ashcombe family: late C17 extension and later alterations for the Pike family. Uncoursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof with ball finial to left; rendered stone ridge stack with four diagonally-set flues, and stone left end stack. three-unit lobby-entry plan. Two storeys; 4-window range. Flat stone arches over blocked door in second bay, from left, and mid C19 horned sash set in blocked doorway opposite stack: timber lintel over blocked window above. Flat stone arches over early C19 six-pane sashes and two blocked windows to right. Wing with datestone 1617 projects from left bay of front: two storeys, three-window range of similar materials has timber lintel over C20 door adjoining main range and early C17 five-light wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded window to left:carved ovolo-moulded decorative timber lintels over two C20 windows. Left side wall: four-light splayed wood-mullioned window with new sill; gabled side wall of main range has timber lintels over wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded window with diamond leaded-lights, and blocked window which flank central stack corbelled out over similar four-light window; early C17 stair turret with ball finial and two-light splayed wood-mullioned window with leaded casements. Late C17 two-storey rear wing of similar materials with gable end stack of stone finished in brick. Rendered right side wall has C20 stone porch and early C19 sashes. Interior: cased beams and chamfered and stopped beans. Chamfered and stopped bressumer over open fireplace with inglenook seats. Newel stairs rising to attic have octagonal newel post. Timber-framed partition wall to gallery which runs along rear wall of first floor, with access to stairs. Collar truss roof with staggered butt purlins. Subsidiary features: C17 L-shaped wall to rear right of limestone rubble with dressed stone to buttresses. The Pike family have lived here since the late C17. Like The Priory, Marcham (q.v.), this is an early example of a lobby-entry plan. (P.S. Spokes and E.M. Jope, "The Priory, Marcham: a small l6th century house", Berkshire Archaelogical Journal, Vol.57 (1959), pp.89-90 (plan)).

Listing NGR: SU3895494307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249630

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Berkshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 57, (1959), 89-90

End of official listing