This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST LUCIAN'S AND ATTACHED FORMER MALTINGS ST LUCIAN'S LOWER WHARF

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST LUCIAN'S AND ATTACHED FORMER MALTINGS ST LUCIAN'S LOWER WHARF

List entry Number: 1048497

Location

ST LUCIAN'S AND ATTACHED FORMER MALTINGS, LOWER WHARF
ST LUCIAN'S LOWER WHARF, LOWER WHARF

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wallingford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249268

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALLINGFORD LOWER WHARF SU6089SE (South side) Wallingford 11/105 St. Lucian's and attached 09/12/49 former maltings (Formerly listed as St. Lucian's Lower Wharf)

GV II*

House and attached maltings and flats. Mid C16 house, possibly incorporating earlier work; early C17 maltings and hop kiln. C17 bays to house. Limestone rubble and flint plinth; roughcast, with decorative pargetting, probably on brick, with some stone quoins, to ground floor; roughcast, with decorative pargeting, probably on timber framing to first floor; old plain-tile roof; brick end stacks with diagonally set flues. 2-unit cross-passage plan with central staircase. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Plank ribbed and studded door with stone Tudor-arch doorway to centre with lean-to lead-covered hood on brackets. 2-light leaded stone mullion windows to left and right of centre. Angled 2-storey bays with leaded stone mullion windows to ground and first floor at left and with battlemented parapet. Continuous hood mould to ground floor with reversed hearts above. 3-light wood mullion window with 2-light side-windows to first floor centre. 3 cross-gables to roof with 2-light leaded wood mullion windows. Rear: 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. 6-panel part-glazed door with rendered architrave surround to centre. 2-storey angled bays with leaded stone mullion windows to ground and first floor at left and right, except early C19 French doors to ground floor right. Continuous hood mould to ground floor with reversed hearts above. 3-light wood mullion window with 2-light side-windows to first floor centre. 3 cross-gables to roof with 2-light leaded wood mullion windows. Interior: C17 straight flight staircase with winders to base, from ground to first floor with baluster balustrade. Queen strut roof with purlins cut to form cross-gables, Tudor-arched stone fireplaces to ground and first floor left and right. Maltings and subsidiary dwellings at right-angles to left. Coursed clunch rubble with C19 brick buttress; old plain-tile roof. Approx. 7 bays long. Collar truss roof with some windbracing. Hop kiln at junction: clunch rubble with brick dressings to base; large timber framing above with brick infill; old plain-tile gableted roof with conical roof of kiln rising from ridge, with wooden louvred cap. Original roof structure of kiln survives. Subsidiary dwelling range at right-angles to house, fronting onto street: flint base; clunch rubble walls; old plain tile roof. 2-storey, 4-window range. Panel doors, Irregular fenestration of casements. Deep jetty to first floor. Collar truss roof. The house fronts onto the River Thames. (V.C.H,: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923; "Some Notes on the Domestic Architecture of Wallingford, Berkshire"; by P.S. Spokes, in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, 'Jol.50 1947).

Listing NGR: SU6084689025

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923)
'Berkshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 50, (1947)

National Grid Reference: SU 60846 89025

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 05:08:59.

End of official listing