CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1048829
Date first listed:
10-Dec-1971
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:52:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Abingdon
National Grid Reference:
SU 49111 97187

Details

583/1/387 PARK ROAD 10-DEC-1971 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

II

Church, 1864-7, with minor later additions by Sir George Gilbert Scott

MATERIALS: Flint, with ashlar dressings

PLAN: Chancel, nave with north and south transepts, lower north and south aisles, west door, south porch, north vestry, church room to south of chancel (1967).

EXTERIOR: Geometrical tracery to the windows, notably east and west windows, and at ends of transepts. High west bellcote.

INTERIOR: The spacious interior is little altered, and largely retains its original fittings and layout. Slender round and octagonal arcade piers. Clerestory with quatrefoil openings. Painted C19 wooden pulpit. High altar by Harry Redfern (1911). Mural with saints on east wall by Mr. Drake of Exeter. Font (replaced 1911). Original benches to nave and north and south aisles; oak pews (1922) in chancel. Recent Lady Chapel in north aisle. Glass includes east window (Lavers and Barraud, 1873-5), south chancel (Clayton and Bell, 1882; Burliston and Grylls, late C19).

HISTORY: The church formed part of the development of this part of Abingdon by Christ's Hospital. This included Albert Park (Registered grade II), which lies opposite St. Michael's. The church was a chapel of ease to St. Helen's, Abingdon, for the poor of the Ock Street area to the south of St. Michael's. It has retained its Anglo-Catholic tradition since the later C19.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A substantial and little altered urban church by George Gilbert Scott, a leading figure in the Victorian Gothic Revival. It was - and remains - an integral part of a planned development of this part of Abingdon. The church room is not of special interest.

SOURCES: N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Berkshire (1966), 53; Notes for Visitors (2005) [available at church]

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250475
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/03654/10
Rights: Copyright IoE John S. Sambrook. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].