CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049130
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ASHFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 19:53:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ASHFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Sheldwich
National Grid Reference:
TR 01133 56863

Details

TR 05 NW SHELDWICH ASHFORD ROAD (east side) 1/50 Church of St James 24.1.67 GV II*

Parish church. C12, chancel and chapel C14, C15 west tower; restored and north aisle and south chapel added 1888 by St Aubyn, south porch 1899. Flint with plain tiled nave roof and slated chancel roof. Chancel and north chapel, nave with north aisle and south chapel, south porch and west tower. Three stage tower on plinth with string courses and battlements and diagonal buttresses offset 3 times. South-eastern stair turret with square lower stage rising to octagonal upper storeys with a spirelet. C15 Perpendicular traceried windows and 3 light western window in 4 centred arched surround. Western doorway with roll mould and hollow chamfer and roll moulded hood. Half-timbered and glazed south porch, and C12 south doorway, round arched on imposts, with external holy water stoup. Nave south wall with exposed jambs of C12 Romanesque window cut by C14 fenestration. South chapel nearly free-standing, buttressed and now totally C19. Chancel walls brought up higher than nave, with low-pitched slated roof. C14 fenestration except C19 Perpendicular style east window. North aisle with reset C14 east window, otherwise C19. C14 window in nave eastgable a mouchette wheel in triangular surround, the tracery bars decorated with bead ornament. Interior: hollow chamfered tower arch and surround on attached piers with octagonal capitals. Hollow chamfered stair door to south- west. Exposed jambs of C12 windows in north and south nave walls. Three bay north arcade to St Aubyn's Decorated style north aisle. Nave roof of 4 crown posts, the end 2 raised. Two bay triple chamfered arcade on central octagonal piers with attached columns to south chapel. Double chamfered chancel arch. Double chamfered arch to north chapel. Roof of 3 crown posts with embattled wall plate. Fittings: moulded piscina in chancel and cusped ogee headed piscina in north chapel.C18 box pews with raised and fielded panels in south chapel. Monuments: wall monument in chancel to Lewis Watkin, Baron Sondes, d.1836. White marble on black background with draped sarcophagus and scalpped achievement, signed Longley, Canterbury. Late C19 ogee headed wall niche to Munn family in south chapel. Brasses: Sir Richard atteLees d.1394 (and Lady Dionisia). Knight and Lady under double canopy. Large figures (43") in large composition with inscribed surround in north chapel. John and Isabel Cely d.1426. Knight and Lady, 32", he with winged hand in benediction behind his head. Joan Mareys, d.1431. Foot long half-figure rising from shroud, and holding a large heart. Stained glass: Thomas Willement, c.1850 in the north aisle, c.1856 in the south aisle. (See B.U.E. Kent II, 1983, 459-460; Igglesden vol.22.)

Listing NGR: TR0106356852

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
176856
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1947)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 459-460

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15366/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Godden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].