CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049184
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049184.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:48:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Matlask
National Grid Reference:
TG1508934873

Details

MATLASKE THE STREET, TG 13 SE (South side) 8/74 Church of St. Peter 4.10.60 II* Parish church, Saxon and Medieval. Restored 1878. Coursed flint with stone dressings, plain and fish scale tiles. Round west tower, nave and south aisle, north and south porches. (Chancel lost 1726). Tower in 3 stages: first and second sties in coursed flint with some iron conglomerate; first stage renewed with some brick mosaic; short horizontal bands of thin tiles, five tiles thick, to both first and second stages. Octagonal C14 bell stage with embattled parapet, string course and gargoyles. 2-light west window and bell openings of Reticulated tracery, west window renewed. Single light to second stage; south-east stair turret. Quoins at west of nave in iron conglomerate. North porch has low angle C19 slate roof, front of knapped flint, gable cross and niche: continuous moulded arch with chamfered head and round shafts; windows to each side of 2 cusp-headed lights under 4 trefoil-headed panels. North door of continuous chamfered arch with roll hood mould. Two C19 3-light windows with panel tracery under square heads to north nave. East gable of flint and brick mosaic over lower base of flint with conglomerate; pebble flint in gable, C19 3-light Decorated window; diagonal buttresses of stone dressed flint rubble with knapped flint. East window to south aisle of 3 ogee headed lights C13, 2 Perpendicular windows to south aisle of 2 trefoil headed lights under 4 panels with square head. Ball flower labels to hood of west window. South porch of flint rubble; low pitched slate roof; 4-centred arch, now blocked with knapped flint, has round shafts. C19 windows of two lights each side. South doorway has chamfered jambs to double roll head under ogee hood mould. Interior: roof of 1878 with rafters and collars; roof corbels in the form of heads. Tall tower arch with segmental pointed head, some brick dressing. West wall and tower of flint rubble incorporating on the south side short bands of thin tiles, 5 tiles thick. Stair turret door with 4-centred arch. South arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. South aisle roof dated 1710 on wall plate, arch braced rafters; purlins and principal rafters moulded. Angel bracket at apex of rear arch to south door, canvas achievement of George III above. Oblong font with wide chamfered corners, font cover with crocketted splats tapering to finial.

Listing NGR: TG1508934873

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224093
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06412/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diane Randell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].