CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049204
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049204.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:56:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Edgefield
National Grid Reference:
TG 09357 34200

Details

EDGEFIELD TG 03 SE 6/11 Church of St Peter and St Paul GV II*

Parish church, 1883-4 by J.D. Sedding incorporating much fabric and fittings of earlier church 900m. to north-west (qv 6/10). Flint and iron conglomerate with stone dressings, slate roof, lead roof to aisles and porch. Nave and chancel in one, north and south aisles, north porch, north-east tower, south- east vestry. East walls of flint with brick courses; 7-light window of 1884. Courses of flint and stone chequerwork to clerestorey and aisle walls. 1884 clerestory windows of 2 lights with panel tracery, 5 to south, 4 to north. C14 west window of 4 lights with reticulated tracery beneath hood mould, (the east window of the former church). The aisle windows incorporate mullions and tracery from former church: north chapel, 3-light Perpendicular window with ogee headed lights; north aisle two 3-light windows with simple panel tracery and no hood mould; south aisle, three 3-light windows (probably cut down) under low segmental arches. North porch: moulded 2-centre arch with side shafts, two 2-light cuspheaded windows with hollow chamfered mullions under flat arches with square hood moulds, all from former church. C19 doorway. C20 north-east tower: unbuttressed in 3 stages; embattled parapet; uncoursed iron stained flint; small north doorway with medieval hood mould having figure stops; partially projecting turret to 1st stage north side. 2-light bell openings. Clock on north side across opening. Interior: nave of 3 bays with original C15 arcades from old church, octagonal piers to north, quatrefoil piers to south, all under chamfered arches. 2 bay chancel of 1884 with continuous blank arches to south, one blank to north; clerestorey windows. C17/18 square floor tiles. C13 octagonal font bowl in Purbeck marble with blank arcading; colonaded stem and steps of 1884. C15 chancel screen, with painted panel tracery, panels renewed; fragments of screen under tower and in north chapel. Part of painted chantry parclose screen to south aisle, 1526; no tracery; panels depict donors; defaced inscription "(orate pro anima) Willim : C... Harstong: uxoris : eius : anno : dni : MCCCCC : xxiiiiii". South aisle piscina from old church with multicusped Decorated head. Trefoil headed piscina in chancel formerly water stoup by nave door of old church. Drawings of old church displayed in church.

Listing NGR: TG0935734200

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224041
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06412/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diane Randell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].