CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1049221
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049221.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:07:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Melton Constable
National Grid Reference:
TG 03784 31960

Details

TG 03 SW MELTON CONSTABLE MELTON CONSTABLE PARK

3/63 Church of St. Peter.

6/3/59 I

Parish church and mausoleum of the Astley family formerly of Melton Constable Park. Nave, crossing and sanctuary; mausoleum with family tribune above forms south transept; north transept 1859. Materials, details and plan suggest pre-1066 date. Conglomerate, flint, stone dressings, tiled roof of c.1900. Nave west gable with late C19 Romanesque door and 2-light 'Y' tracery window c.1300 above. Nave south wall with blocked Perpendicular south doorway, nave north with one round headed lancet deeply splayed internally, one 3-light Perpendicular window. Crossing tower with quoins, slightly set off belfry stage with blocked round headed openings and late C19 Romanesque windows, conical roof. Ground floor one 2-light straight headed Perpendicular window. Chancel details externally C19, buttresses and 3-light east window. Interior. Nave with 5 bay Perpendicular arched braced roof with wall posts on stone corbels, carved bosses at intersections. At east crossing a low rounded arch supporting at apex a Romanesque window opening with central massive shaft with two arches under a typanum, all plastered except for stone capital of central pier, presumably originally matched by other such openings. Within sanctuary tower one C19 round arch to north, Perpendicular chancel arch to west, Perpen- dicular details to south including squint. Flat boarded roof. Chancel with C19 roof with arched braces supported on C19 carved angle corbels. Mid/late C19 wooden reredos incorporating triptych with grisaille panels on reverse. Monument 1818 Bacon invenit, Manning fecit. To south recut Easter recess with 1914-1918 memorial. South transept family tribune added c.1681. Panelled dado and pews. Segmental arched opening to nave, classical details. Stairs dated 1636. Collection of good C18 family monuments, none signed, and painted heraldry of Astley family "from Norman Conquest" to present day. Nave north wall monument J. Bacon sculpt 1807. North window with mostly secular C16 and C17 glass fragments. Chancel east window with C15 head; north transept with Crucifixion window 1859. Restored 1885, chancel furnishings and reredos 1903: Kellv's Directory Norfolk (1916) p.261.

Listing NGR: TG0378431960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223975
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Norfolk, (1916), 261
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/11702/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].