This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/02/2020
TG 14 SW
Church of All Saints
(Formerly listed under THE GREEN)
Parish church, early C14 and mid C15. Restored 1849 and 1872. Galletted coursed whole and knapped Quaternary and Quarry flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone dressings, slate roof, pantiles to south nave. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch, mausoleum.
Three stage west tower incorporating some erratics; embattled parapet of flushwork having gargoyles to north and south; diagonal stone stepped buttresses; stone plinth; polygonal stair turret at south-east to first stage. Double chamfered west doorway. West window of three trefoil headed lights under pointed segmental head. Two cuspheaded lancets to second stage; bell openings of cusped 'Y' tracery. North and south aisles each of broken flint with three buttresses and diagonal buttress to east; four four-light windows under pointed segmental arch having cusped ogee heads under panel tracery with octofoil at apex. Similar three-light window at either end of each aisle. C14 north and south clerestoreys of squared knapped flint with brick eaves courses, nine lights of alternating quatrefoils and 'Y' tracery. C14 east gable of nave with blocked wide three-light opening of intersecting cusped tracery; cross at apex.
Large south porch: south face of square knapped flint with crocketted finials to quoins; Perpendicular arch under square head renewed, continuous moulding to first order, wave moulding above side shafts of central order; benchless, no windows; south and north doorway alike of plain chamfered jambs and double hollow chamfered arch under hood mould. Low chancel with brick eaves cornice, east window as aisles; other openings of two ogee headed cusped lights under a square head, two to south, two to north that to north-east blocked, those to west blocked below transoms.
Mid-C19 vestry to south of chancel. across priest's door of knapped flint with brick dressings; chimney pot at gable apex to south; single ogee headed light under square head with chamfered brick surround.
Upcher mausoleum: attached to north chancel wall, c.1820, uncoursed knapped flint with stone dressings; parapet of squared coursed knapped flint; central stone panel with blank ogee arch recording Upcher family 1819-72 having blank panel tracery above to embattled stone parapet, Upcher crest and "U / A C" (Abbot, d.1819, and Charlotte, d.1857, Upcher) on frieze.
Interior: north and south arcades of five bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches; double chamfered tower arch with plain responds, narrow door to stair turret with four-centred arch. C14 octagonal font having blank Decorated tracery on faces; octagonal stem having engaged shafts at angles and blank tracery to faces; Yellow and black glazed medieval tiles around font stem. Painted cambered tie beam above font has wall braces with pierced spandrels. C15 poppy head bench ends to C19 pews many with carvings including fabulous beasts, mermaid, bare footed girl in swaddled shroud, cat with kitten. Clear glass to windows. C14 rood screen and loft, screen part renewed, ogee-lights with Decorated and panel tracery above, Decorated blank tracery to lower panels with figures and foliage in spandrels. Loft with panelled vault and bosses; moulded bressumer to front with fabulous beasts on carved spandrels; traceried parapet. Door to loft behind oak hourglass pulpit of 1914 by Cecil Upcher. Oak organ case in north aisle of 1911 with fretwork tracery. Chancel: wide piscina with continuous arch, dropped sedilia seat; narrow shafts to rear arch of east window; vase turned balusters to Communion rails; oak reredos with vine frieze by Cecil Upcher 1914, C18 panelling to east wall. Marble wall memorial to Abbot Upcher 1819 by John Bacon jun. and Samuel Manning: panels of poppies flanking inscription over achievement; above in relief an obelisk and woman holding a wilting branch weeping over a broken column. Vestry to south of Priest's door lined with C18 panelling reused, panel from pulpit over window dated 1622 and showing renaissance arch, tester or font cover inverted on ceiling.
Listing NGR: TG1442841853