CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1049913
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, NORWICH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049913.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:08:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, NORWICH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ludham
National Grid Reference:
TG 38811 18266

Details

LUDHAM NORWICH STREET TG 31 NE (south side) 8/77 Church of St. Catherine 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. C14 west tower and chancel. Nave and aisles C15, bequests to new work date from 1466 when tower also altered. Restored 1861 and 1891. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brickwork. Chancel roof of slate, remainder of lead. 3 stage tower with diagonal west buttresses and side east buttresses. Restored 2-light mouchette west window. Lancets to ringing chamber and a pedimented clock face to north dated 1762. 2-light Y tracery belfry windows, the tracery replaced with timber and louvred. Crenellated parapet. North aisle west window of 3 cusped lancets. Aisle windows of 3 lights and Perpendicular, except that east of south porch which is of 4 lights and transomed. Stepped side buttresses, diagonal at corners. 3 light Perpendicular clerestory windows under 4-centred arches. 2 storey south porch with diagonal buttresses. Arched doorway in square surround, the spandrels carved. Buttresses rise to polygonal turrets. Gabled roof and plain parapet. Over door are 2 cusped statuary niches with nodding ogees flanking central 2-light parvis window. Cinquefoiled side windows to parvis. Polygonal stair turret to north-west with flushwork. Gabled north porch of coursed knapped flint. Diagonal buttresses and 2-light depressed Perpendicular side lights. Multiply wave moulded 4-centred entrance arch below ogeed statuary niche with finial. Facade decorated with 2 tiers flushwork cinquefoil arcading. Chancel supported by stepped side buttresses, diagonal to east. One C19 3-light Perpendicular south window and a 2-light C14 window with tracery head consisting of a single encircled quatrefoil. Arched Priest's door. 5-light reticulated east window. 2 2-light C14 divergent mouchette north windows. Chancel of knapped and coursed flint. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade on high bases. Polygonal capitals below double hollow chamfered arches. Clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Double hollow chamfered tower arch on semi-circular responds with circular capitals. Polygonal chancel arch responds with capitals carved with grotesques (north) and seaweed foliage (south). Double chamfered arch. Hammerbeam nave roof probably of 1466, the hammerbeams alternately on wall posts and all on arched braces. Polygonal wall posts drop to corbels carved with angels bearing shields. Wall arches to ashlaring. Spandrels of hammerbeams pierced above and below. Arched braces to-ridge piece. One tier butt purlins. All timbers. moulded. Aisle roofs have arched braces to central purlin, the outer wall posts on head corbels. Chancel screen of 3 bays right and left of arched opening. Middle rail inscribed : Pray for the soule of John (Salmon) and Cycyly his wyf that gave forten pounde and for alle other benefactors made in the year of ower Lord God MCCCCLXXXXIII (1493). Tracery head in form of crocketed ogees within cusped arches. Dado has 2 painted panels each bay depicting from left to right, Mary Magdalen, St. Stephen, St. Edmund (King of East Anglia), Henry VI, St. Augustine, St. Ambrose, St. Gregory, St. Jerome, Edward the Confessor, St. Walstan, St. Lawrence, St. Appolonia. The first four panels on the south side by a different hand. Painting of such quality that these panels represent an important example of C15 English art. Remainder of dado traceried and gilded. On west side are free standing annulated buttresses. Painted tympanum in chancel arch showing Crucifixion on west side, arms of Elizabeth I on east. Octagonal C15 font. Against the stem Wild Men. Angels and seaweed foliage under bowl. Bowl with panels carved with symbols of 4 Evangelists. Numerous C15 poppyhead bench ends. Rustic stalls in chancel. C19 chancel roof : an undisciplined though not complex composition of arched braces. Ogeed sedilia and piscina with crockets and finials. 8 brasses in nave the best of which are : 1650 to R. Barker, 1633 heart brass to-Grace Whitey and 1659 to Christopher White. All inscription brasses.

Listing NGR: TG3881118266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224408
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03007/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].