CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1050520
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HARDLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 23:29:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HARDLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Chedgrave
National Grid Reference:
TM 36324 99370

Details

CHEDGRAVE HARDLEY ROAD, TM 39 NE South side

6/1 Church of All Saints 5.9.60 - I

Parish church. C12, tower base possibly earlier, much restored in early C19. Flint with limestone dressings; nave and chancel rendered over, much brick and conglomerate in tower. C19 red brick chancel. Tower roof thatched, nave and chancel slated, south porch plain-tiled. Nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle, north east tower. Small nave west window, single light with pointed arch and attached collonettes. Late C19 south porch of knapped flint with 2-light east and west windows; parapeted gable with cross-finial. South nave and chancel windows 2-light with 'Y' tracery. Nave east gable weather- boarded. East window C15, three lights with Perpendicular tracery. Tall east gable parapet. Rainwater hopper at junction of chancel and tower dated T.B.1819. Square, unbuttressed tower: brick-dressed bell-openings with elliptical arches. Chamfered stone dressings to north side bell opening. Double lancet in north wall, small double splayed slit window in east wall. Western bell opening infilled in red brick and partly masked by north aisle roof. Early C19 north aisle of red brick with two 2-light windows, one in Perpendicular style, one with 'Y' tracery. Lancet in west gable wall; parapeted gable on moulded stone kneelers. C12 north and south doorways in nave, the north door with one order of shafts on cushion capitals, plain-chamfered inner arch and zigzag moulded hood. The south doorway very elaborate: two orders of decorated shafts with cushion and leaf-moulded capitals, arches with rope moulding, intersecting zigzags and hood mould of two orders of overlapping plates. South door has elaborate ironwork dated 1819. Interior: north arcade of two bays: plain octagonal pier and single chamfer to arches. Plastered nave and aisle ceilings with moulded coving. Chancel roof with butt-purlins and solid braces on wall-posts. South-east corner of chancel has cusped piscina with petalled bowl and pedimented wall monument to Henry Webster (d.1694). In the northeast corner of chancel an oval tablet to Thomas Webster (d.1794) and his wife Mary (d.1808). Semicircular arched opening to tower in north chancel wall. East window of tower double-splayed and set in semicircular headed recess. Some good memorial slabs in nave floor, notably that to Robert Gilbert (d.1671). Font, C15, octagonal with stem of cusped arcading and bowl with winged angels bearing shields. East window contains C16 and foreign glass, said to have been brought from Rouen by Lady Beauchamp Proctor c.1797.

Listing NGR: TM3632499370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227003
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06028/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E. Downs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].