CRINGLEFORD HOUSE ROSILAND HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1050566
Date first listed:
26-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
CRINGLEFORD HOUSE, 8, NEWMARKET ROAD
Statutory Address:
ROSILAND HOUSE, 10, NEWMARKET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRINGLEFORD HOUSE
ROSILAND HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 09:58:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CRINGLEFORD HOUSE, 8, NEWMARKET ROAD
Statutory Address:
ROSILAND HOUSE, 10, NEWMARKET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Cringleford
National Grid Reference:
TG 19753 05871

Details

TG 10 NE CRINGLEFORD NEWMARKET ROAD (north side) 2/14 Nos. 8 & 10 Cringleford House and Rosiland House

II

House now 2 dwellings, c.1794, a rebuild of late C16 house, for Thrower Buckle. Brick with black glazed pantiles. Double range; 5 bays, 3 storeys and cellar; flanking 2 bay 2 storey extensions of mid C19 with hipped slate roof. Central facade of 1794: end internal stacks, that to left gable with added external stack; end internal stacks to rear range. Brick parapets between gables of double roof; modillions to cornice; recessed sashes with glazing bars and gauged brick flat arches (sashes to ground floor bays 1 and 2 now without glazing bars), second floor sashes 3 x 2 panes; central shallow porch c.1885, brick with flat roof, decorative brick parapet having a large stone lion's head to facade either side; C18 doorway reset having open pediment with panelled soffit, flanking bowed Tuscan pilasters, 6 panelled door, fanlight above with curved and scallopped glazing bars some with knobs. 2 storeyed wings either side set slightly set back, openings and eaves cornice to match main facade; wing to right with added large canted bay window c.1885 with cornice to match central porch, sashes; right return of 2 bays having sashes with glazing bars and flat arches. Wing to left (Rosiland House) extended by one bay c.1920 with large doorway said to be from Town Hall of Great Yarmouth (1882-3 by J.B. Pearce), stone now painted, heavy head with floral cornice and basket arch, door with fielded panels, basket headed light over door with C19 painted glass showing the Venerable Bede and his monastery; sash with glazing bars under soldier arch to first floor. Rear: conservatory to rear of east wing with late C19 painted glass in Pre-Raphaelite style showing curved rose stems with central lozenge containing 2 birds, margin lights with small bullions; varied fenestration, first floor of central block with C17 leaded lights with segmental heads pintle hinges and original fittings, second floor with tripartite flush sashes with glazing bars to bays 1 and 5, flush sash with glazing bars 4 x 4 panes to bay 3. Interior: double roof mainly of reused timbers, probably late C16 re-erected 1794. with some principals in pine, 2 tiers with purlins notched into rafters. Openwell open string staircase with turned balusters; wreathed mahogany handrail with ivory inset over newels, handrail curved and twisted to first floor, ramped with stick balusters to second floor; geometric coloured tiles c.1885 to hall floor. Central room to rear range with massive C19 reset interior doorway of oak, large coved cornice and fat twisted flanking columns having acanthus leaf bases and Corinthian capitals, double leaved door. Ground floor of mid-C19 wing to right with geometric plaster ceiling, reeded colonettes to window and door frames. House known as Flotmans on same site 1584 with 2 ranges of same plan dimensions as present 3 storeyed block, one range having been recently erected.

Listing NGR: TG1975305871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226899
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00262/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Erskine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].