This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1050704

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton Flotman

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 226613

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 29 NW NEWTON FLOTMAN CHURCH ROAD (south-side) 6/36 Church of St.Mary the 26/11/59 Virgin (Formerly listed as II* Church of St. Mary) - Parish church. C15 and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel with organ extension to north. C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses and a large west window with Victorian tracery. 2-light bell-openings with Per- pendicular tracery and parapet with crow-stepped crenellations, gargoyles and carved inscriptions with heraldry on eastern face. Stair turret to north. Nave with 2 3-light cusped Y-traceried windows and 2 3-light Per- pendicular windows, all restored. Chancel with modern traceried east window and 2 2-light Perpendicular windows to south. Rebuilt C16 porch with some original openings re-set. C15 tower-arch of 3 plain chamfered orders on semicircular responds. Similar chancel arch on faceted responds. Blocked former rood stair doorway with traceried spandrels to north and simple nave piscina to south. Trefoil piscina in chancel. Wall monument in stone to the Blondevile family, probably Thomas. Circa 1600. 3 panels divided by pilasters and flanked by columns surmounted by obelisks. Semicircular-headed pediment with blank tympanum. Kneeling figure in centre panel (probably Thomas Blondevile) with 3 female weepers in left hand panel. Brass plaque, probably re-set, in right hand panel with kneeling effigies of Edward (died 1568), Radulph (died 1514) and Richard (died 1490) Blondevile. Rhyming inscription and heraldic shields beneath plaque. Fine C15 poppy head bench ends.

Listing NGR: TM2129898475

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 21298 98475

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050704 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 12:40:21.

End of official listing