WHITERAILS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1050730
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
WHITERAILS FARMHOUSE, HIGH GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITERAILS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050730.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 15:55:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITERAILS FARMHOUSE, HIGH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Melton
National Grid Reference:
TG 13345 05122

Details

GREAT MELTON HIGH GREEN TG 10 NW 3/70 Whiterails Farmhouse 2.10.51 II

L plan house with an originally C16 subsidiary wing and C17 main wing. Brick with pantiled roofs. Later alterations. Subsidiary wing originally a timber-framed open hall with 3 remaining trusses (central one closed) with arched braces and a cambered tie beam with provision for wall-posts. A floor was inserted in c.1600 in connection with a brick gable end with stack and octagonal chimneys. An axial stack was added later in the C17 and the timber frame was replaced with brickwork in the C18. Main wing 2 storeys with attic. Facade of 3 bays with an off-centre C19 door case and 3-light mullioned and transomed C19 windows inserted into much reduced original openings. Moulded brick string course and remains of moulded brick double pediments over ground floor windows. South gable end crow- stepped with moulded brick string course and double pediments over blocked windows. 3 massive contemporary stacks at rear with C19 chimneys and modern openings. North gable end dated 1896 with initials E.H.E.L. (E. H. Evans Lombe). Interior has a C17 vice with a facetted newel and many original door frames (one with barred and ogee stops). Original latch at first floor with heart-shaped loop-drop handle. Beams with protruding angle rolls flanked by cavettos. Original roof with 2 sets of butt-purlins, collars and wind bracing.

Listing NGR: TG1334505122

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226469
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01839/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].