CHURCH OF ST GERVASE AND PROTASE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1051528
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GERVASE AND PROTASE, HOSPITAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GERVASE AND PROTASE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051528.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 19:47:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GERVASE AND PROTASE, HOSPITAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Great and Little Plumstead
National Grid Reference:
TG 30741 10859

Details

TG 31 SW GREAT & LITTLE PLUMSTEAD HOSPITAL ROAD

(Little Plumstead) 4/34 Church of St. Gervase 25/9/62 and Protase, Little Plumstead.

II*

Parish Church, medieval and later. Flint with brick and stone dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. 2 stage round tower belonging to the Saxo-Norman overlap. The top stage narrower and probably later. Circular squint on western segment with single lancet above. C19 single light belfry openings and battlemented parapet. Nave 3 bays with 2 Perpendicular 3 light windows each side of nave, with blocked C13 arch on north to west, and semi-circular arched opening with billet moulding, and C18 raised and fielded 6 panel door to south. Late medieval brick porch with double chamfered entrance and 2 light windows to east and west. Single bay chancel with C18 brickwork on north side and 3 light C19 Perpendicular windows to south and east. Interior mainly C19. Relocated military brass for Sir Edward Warner, died 1565. Monument to Thomas Pentice and Mrs Pentice, died 1829 by W. Hardy. Glass fragments of various dates and sources in the south chancel window.

Listing NGR: TG3074110859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228482
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04920/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].