- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHRIST CHURCH, MACDALEN ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051766.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2020 at 22:59:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHRIST CHURCH, MACDALEN ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Norwich (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 23216 10236
TG 21 SW MAGDALEN ROAD
2/837 Christ Church
Parish Church. 1840 by John Brown, in lancet style. Flint with grey brick dressings
slate roofs. Nave with narthex, chancel, north and south transepts, sanctuary
Symmetrical west front; narrow narthex with triple, shafted entrance, the centra
doorway larger, and each beneath moulded pointed canopy with foliate bosses and squat
finials. Above, three-light lancet window, with taller central light, beneath gabl
with cross to apex. The whole flanked by offset angle buttresses which terminate
in polygonal shafts and facetted finials. To left and right returns, a single doorway
beneath single lancet with bossed hood. Corbelled parapet. To left and right, forming
west end of nave, a tall similar lancet beneath sunk trefoil light beneath gable
each outer side flanked by an angle buttress with shafts, similar to narthex. Central
bellcote with offset buttresses to each face and rising to pointed canopy over bell
Below is a clockface beneath triple pointed hood mould. 5-bay nave, similar to north
and south. Tall single lancets, with facetted brick reveals, set between offset
buttresses. Continuous band at cill level, returns to west front and is repeated
on narthex buttresses. Corbelled parapet. Similarly detailed north and south gable
transepts. North and south windows of triple lancets, with taller central light.
Paired lancets to west faces and to east face of north transept. Blind paired lancet
to south east transept. Angle buttresses terminating in polygonal shafts and facetted
finials. Continuous band at cill level. Corbelled parapet to west and east faces.
Sanctuary of single bay depth has lancet and similar details to nave, on north, an
vestry to south. East wall: central triple lancet window, flanked by single lancet,
these separated by a tall offset buttress rising to roof line. Offset angle buttresses.
Above corbel table, central triple lancet with taller central light, cross to apex
of gable. To each side a sunk trefoil light beneath a gable, which rises from parapet
on north and south faces. Interior. Wide aisleless nave, the seating reordered 1941
reusing existing seating, modified. Rear arches to windows have undercut hoods with
C13 style bosses. Similarly detailed narthex arch, of pair of shafts to each side
of continuous chamfered arch. 4-centre arched doorway through half-wall supporting
balcony, at narthex level, and bearing Royal arms installed 1887. Sanctuary beyond
north and south transepts. Similar piers of 3 clustered shafts to outer sanctuary,
and transept arches. The sanctuary is further divided in 3, the shafted piers of
quartrefoil plan; the arches of multiple orders. South wall of sanctuary has 4-centre
arched doorway and blind recessed hooded window above. Rear wall of sanctuary
articulated in 3 bays by engaged shafts between the windows and at the angles. Stone
reredos of 4 equal panels beneath 3 cusped arches beneath 3 canopies that in centre
taller. Polygonal pulpit, the 3 faces with blind cusped panels, reset in original
position by sanctuary. Rib vaulted sanctuary roof, in 3 bays; quadripartite crossing
roof with angle ribs. Canted transept roofs. Nave roof strutted queen posts and
a central post rising to flat ceiling below apex, each with drop finial below tie
beam. Slender braces to wall posts. 3 encircled quatrefoil ventilation outlets
to alternate bays. Canted narthex roof. South transept, chapel and war memorial,
has window in memory of Philip Sewell. North transept houses organ, installed 1912.
East Anglican tradition polygonal font, now in south west corner of nave.
Listing NGR: TG2321610236
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/213336
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/213324
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/213331
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing