NORFOLK AND NORWICH HOSPITAL X-RAY AND RADIOTHERAPY DEPARTMENTS AND FORMER OUT-PATIENTS' ACCOMMODATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1051858
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
NORFOLK AND NORWICH HOSPITAL X-RAY AND RADIOTHERAPY DEPARTMENTS AND FORMER OUT-PATIENTS' ACCOMMODATION, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORFOLK AND NORWICH HOSPITAL X-RAY AND RADIOTHERAPY DEPARTMENTS AND FORMER OUT-PATIENTS' ACCOMMODATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051858.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 14:16:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORFOLK AND NORWICH HOSPITAL X-RAY AND RADIOTHERAPY DEPARTMENTS AND FORMER OUT-PATIENTS' ACCOMMODATION, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 22662 07878

Details

TG 2208 NE ST. STEPHEN'S ROAD (north-west side) 28/819 5.6.72 Norfolk & Norwich Hospital. X-ray and Radiotherapy Departments and former out-patients' accommodation. - II Hospital. 1771 on keystone over door, by William Ivory. Red brick; hipped pantile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys: 13 first-floor windows on facade at right-angles to street. Projecting centre bay with rusticated brick quoins has C20 glass door and flat porch in front of plain fanlight in recessed round-headed gauged brick arch. Similar arched to flanking windows. Plain brick string course and higher stone band to centre bays. Windows have sashes with glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches with 3 round-headed first-floor windows below central pediment with occulus. Brick cornice. Left end of the ground floor is concealed behind irregular C20 flat-roofed extensions. 2-storey canted bay to right side elevation facing the street. Adjoining range of 2 storeys and semi-basement has 7 first-floor windows, 3 of which are in projecting pedimented bay with rusticated quoins, stone string course and occulus. Sash windows have glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches with keystones. Stone eaves cornice. A stone tablet with bronze bust records foundation of the Hospital in 1771 by William Fellowes and the reconstruction and enlargement of the out- patient department in 1927 as a first World War Memorial.

Listing NGR: TG2266207878

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
229593
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/215417

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15348/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russell Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].