CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052098
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052098.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 05:44:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Cranford
National Grid Reference:
SP 92386 77271

Details

CRANFORD SP9277 CRANFORD ST.ANDREW 1337-0/18/168 Church of St.Andrew 25/02/57 GV II* Parish church, now chapel of ease. Late C12 origin, tower late C13, alterations and additions of C14, C15 and 1674, restoration and north transept 1847. Coursed limestone rubble (partly rendered to east) with a scattering of ironstone ashlar dressings. Roofs not visible (probably of lead) West tower, nave with north aisle, south porch and north transept, chancel with north and south chapels. Tower of 2 stages: tall lower stage has set-back buttresses, low, steeply-pointed west doorway with finely- moulded shaped surround, lancet above amd a set of tiny stair-lights to left. South side has lancet and east side shows scar of earlier steeply- pitched nave roof. Each side of bell-stage has a 2-light decorated window with quatrefoil head, then 3 plain corbels (central one to south replaced by clock) and a small lancet above. Castellated parapet on moulded eaves. Castellated parapets also to, chancel and porch, plain parapets to nave and chapels. South side of nave shows signs of heightening for clerestory of 4 spherical triangles and has a bell-moulded string course, a 2-light Perpendicular square-headed window with head-stopped hood-mould and a 3- light pointed window with intersecting tracery either side of porch with continuously-moulded arched entrance and flanking buttresses. South side of south chapel, refaced with squared stone has doorway with depressed ogee head and diaomond-shaped stone above dated 1674 and a traceried 2-light window (perhaps originally of 4 lights) with 4-centred head. Row of C18 eaved headstones reset alongside wall beneath. East end of chnacel has plinth, cill band and 3-light Perpendicular traceried window with hood mould. East end of south chapel has a 2-light window with cusped lights, hood-mould and cill band. East end of north chapel has a 3-light Perpendicular window. North side of north chapel has buttress and 3-light window with 4-centred head and hood mould. C19 transept has Perpendicular style details. North aisle has a 3-light window (originally longer) with 4- centred head, and a 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window with moulded stones, resembling pieces of reset string course, placed vertically either side. Buttress at west end. North clerestory as south. Interior: late C12 3- bay north nave arcade of round single-stepped arches carried on cylindrical columns with plain round capitals. Richly-moulded C13 pointed tower arch of 4 chamfered orders. Plainer C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on polygonal responds, the south one of ironstone. Roof stair rises from north chapel but rood left doorway is concealed by plaster. Heavily-restored nave roof (probably only tie-beams are pre-C19) with king posts, tracery and arch braces carried on corbels in the form of carved heads of kings, bishops and (to west) knights. Other roofs either restored or C19. Medieval piscina in north chapel and at east end of nave. East window contains fragments of medieval and C17 English and continental glass. North aisle containing brasses to John Fossebrok, d.1418 and his wife (nurse to Henry VI), and to John Fosbroke, d.1602 and his 2 wives. South chapel contains inter alia elaborate wall monuments to Bernard Walcot, d.1671 and Sir William Robinson d.1678/9 (with a bust attributed to James Hardy) and C18 slate floor slabs with inlaid curvilinear inscriptions. C19 pulpit contains reset C16 Flemish panels carved with Biblical scenes. Plain octagonal font with C17 flat cover on probably C19 traceried shafts. (V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, III: pp.188-9; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p.167).

Listing NGR: SP9238677271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
230993
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 167
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 188-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11807/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].