Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052219.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 02:08:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 46332 14972


BAOSNURTH NEW ROAD SE41SE 6/39 Church of St. Mary 25.3.1968 6V I

Parish church. Mostly C15, with some earlier fabric; tower restored in 1935. Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel with added north vestry. Four-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, weathered plinth, weathered bands on 3 levels; 2-centred arched west doorway with 3 orders of moulding, and hoodmould; large 2-centred arched west window of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery, hollow-moulded reveal, and hoodmould; above this, a small crocketed niche; 2-light belfry windows with transoms and cinquefoil lights with wooden louvres, hollow- moulded surrounds and hoodmoulds with figured stops; restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; clockface on south side of 3rd stage. Low buttressed 4-bay aisles embracing tower; late C19 or early C20 gabled porch to 1st bay of south aisle; large 4-centred arched windows of 3 cusped lights, with mouchette tracery in the heads (restored mullions and tracery),double-chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds; similar windows at east and west ends; embattled parapet; north aisle similar except that windows have cinquefoil lights and Perpendicular tracery; and next to that in the centre is a very small 2-centred arched C13 doorway. Nave has three 2-light clerestory windows in similar style, and embattled parapet. Low 2-bay chancel of restored ashlar masonry has two 4-centred arched 3-light windows. with cinquefoil lights, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with figured stops;. small C14 arched doorway between windows; plain parapet; large 2-centred arched east window of 5 cinquefoil lights with Perpendicular tracery, double- chamfered reveal, and hoodmould with figured stops. Interior: 3-bay arcades of octagonal columns with moulded caps, double- chamfered arches; chancel has low 2-bay north arcade in matching style; on south wall of chancel a fine marble wall monument to Sir John Bright (d.1688): bowed, with a lengthy inscription on the square central panel, which is carved as if thinly veiled by drapery, with a swagged apron and very elaborately carved crown including shield of arms, helm, and feather (with radiant sun behind) surmounted by an orb with gadrooned cap, all surrounded by foliated scrolls etc. (Sir John Bright was a prominent leader of Parliamentary forces in Yorkshire during the Civil War, and came to Badsworth in 1652); near south doorway, octagonal C15 font, with traceried panels; stained glass windows in north and south aisles, by Kenpe 1893 and c1900. Reference: Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SE4632914971


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04029/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Hodlin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].