This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Former Brandon Farmhouse, adjoining farm building and cottage, and attached wall

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Former Brandon Farmhouse, adjoining farm building and cottage, and attached wall

List entry Number: 1052507

Location

Brandon House and Mildon Cottage, Manor Road, Sandford St Martin, OX7 7AG

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sandford St. Martin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251962

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2018

SP4226 14/150 SANDFORD ST MARTIN MANOR HOUSE (East side) Brandon House and Mildon Cottage Former Brandon Farmhouse, adjoining farm building and cottage, and attached wall

(Formerly listed as Brandon Farmhouse, adjoining farm building and cottage, and attached wall, THE GREEN, previously listed as Brandon Farmhouse) 27/08/56 GV

II Large former farmhouse and farm building. Early/mid C17 and 1705, possibly partly C16. Limestone rubble with marlstone ashlar dressings and limestone ashlar; artificial stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Five unit range with rear wings.

Two storeys plus attic. Left half of six-window front is earlier and has irregular fenestration of stone-mullioned windows of two-, one- and three-lights at first floor and two-, three- and two-lights at ground floor, all with labels. Ashlar right half, with continuous moulded string, has chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows: two-light in the outer bays with segmental pediments at first floor; three-light in the centre with a triangular pediment at first floor and, at ground floor, a segmental pediment enclosing a datestone inscribed "P/WE/1705".

Right half of roof has two gabled roof dormers and three double-shafted stacks with plinths and moulded caps. Left gable wall has further mullioned windows with labels and returns to a taller rear wing with aligned mullioned windows of four-, three- and three-lights in its rear gable wall and mullioned cellar windows. Roof has a triple-shafted stack. Gabled stair tower in angle has two-light mullioned windows, but at lower level has small chamfered windows which may be C16 or earlier. Rear of later range has a canted stair projection and some stone mullioned and transomed windows, but also has some C17 rubble walling with mullioned windows and a first floor doorway approached by a stone stair. Small C18 rear wing adjoining stair has a five-row dovecote in its gable.

Three bay rubble farm building range to right of front curves around bend in road and has a large through cartway with double doors containing a small door. Right gable wall has a parapet. Right bay is now a cottage and has C20 openings to rear.

Interior: two large open fireplaces with bread ovens; bolection-mould fireplace with matching panelling; two winder stairs rising to attic; C17 oak-panelled room in rear wing with carved panels below a dentil cornice, a four-centre arched fireplace, and an overmantel of arched panels incorporating the inscription "P/IK"; butt-purlin roofs. Rubble wall attached to right end of range, approximately 1.3 metre high, runs approximately 50 metres to east. Initials on rebuilt south range are those of William and Elizabeth Parsons.

Listing NGR: SP4203026614

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 752
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 171

National Grid Reference: SP 42030 26614

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:40:00.

End of official listing