This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SHIPTON COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHIPTON COURT

List entry Number: 1052592

Location

SHIPTON COURT, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shipton-under-Wychwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251778

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD HIGH STREET SP 2617-2717 7/64 Shipton Court 27.8.56 GV II* Country house. Built circa 1603, remodelled in 1633 and in the C18 and drastically restored by Bulmer and Perkins 1903-06. Coursed rubble with Cotswold stone roofs. Irregular plan, symmetrical to west and with a courtyard to north; many gabled Cotswold Jacobean style. Mullion and transom with drips, coped verges with kneelers and carved finials, tall ashlar chimneys with square shafts and common cornices, some joined and some open. Two storeys and attics. Symmetrical west front with 5 gables, 2 projecting one bay giving rhythm 3:1:3:1:3 to windows. Central gable has lost its entrance (replaced with mullioned windows), above is a window with Ipswich- pattern glazing and in the attic a large 2-light transomed window with ogee heads, only this and the other attic windows are original. Moulded elliptical head door- ways in returns of projecting bays (left one blocked). Two-storey angled bays in gable returns. Crenellated tower adjacent to north gable. The north, south and east fronts gain an extra storey with the fall in ground level. North front has a low service courtyard of 1903 with Tudor-arch openings. The north-east pavilion has a build up of gables and retains original hollow-chamfer mullion and transom windows (the south-east pavilion is replaced by the crenellated tower referred to above). The recessed centre has a string over third floor and a small ogee arched bellcote between the attic gables above. The east front has 3 principal gables and flanking lower crenellated one- and 2-storey extensions, the southern one with angled 2-storey bay and Tudor-arched entry to steps up to terrace. The south front is recessed behind a former Winter Garden. The interior was very largely remodelled in Edwardian Jacobean style with plaster- rib ceilings (tunnel vaulted on first floor), panelling and large wooden fireplaces with mother-of-pearl inlay. The staircases are in the same style, the principal one to south-east has large windows with reset heraldic glass and roundels, probably Flemish, of C16 and C17. In the basement a chamfered round arch below the east wing is thought to represent earlier fabric. The house was bought in 1633 by the Reade family; it was left to a butler in 1902 and sold to a coal millionaire called Pepper soon after. In the C18 most of the west front windows were sashes and a portico extended between the 2 wings. The Bulmer and Perkins restoration is very much in the recreated Jacobean style and included garden layout and terracing (qv). the house has similarities with Chastleton Manor, Chastleton CP. Country Life, Vol 7 (3.ij.1900). M Groves: The History of Shipton-under-Wychwood) (1934).

Listing NGR: SP2776517526

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Graves, M , The History of Shipton under Wychwood, (1934)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 7, (1900)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SP 27765 17526

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 06:43:00.

End of official listing