YE ANCIENTE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052874
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
YE ANCIENTE HOUSE, 20, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of YE ANCIENTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 01:24:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
YE ANCIENTE HOUSE, 20, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodstock
National Grid Reference:
SP 44536 16683

Details

WOODSTOCK HIGH STREET SP4416NE (South side) 10/106 No.20 (Ye Anciente House) 18/10/49 (Formerly listed as "Ye Ancient House") GV II* House, now house and 2 shops. Early C17, with early C18 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled concrete tile roof; end stacks of rendered stone finished in C20 brick. L-plan with rear right wing. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range to double-gabled front. Central doorway of c.1700: six-panelled (2 glazed) door set in raised segmental-arched architrave with imposts; wrought-iron scroll brackets support bracketed pediment hood with foliate-carved brackets finished in carved heads. C20 bay window to right. Early C17 carved wood lintel with Sun Alliance Fire insurance plaque over late C18 horizontal-sliding sash above door. Flat stone arches over C18 six-pane sashes, with thick glazing bars to two first-floor windows to right. Gabled outer bays have fine carved wood lintels over early C17 three-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned windows; finely-carved barge boards, with pendentives to right. Rear: central outshut has early C17 carved wood lintels and early C17 studded door. Stair-turret has mid C18 outshut to left with 6-pane sashes. Early C17 two-storey bay to rear right; has end stack of rendered stone finished in brick, and finely carved wood lintel over late C17 four-light wood-mullioned and transomed window; C17 one-storey range to rear of this has chamfered bar-stopped timber lintel over C17 plank door and C18 horizontal-sliding sash with thick glazing bars. Interior: boxed beans and winder stairs. Early C18 bolection-panelled room with fireplace and bolection-panelled doors to left. Rear wing: ogee-stopped beams; rear room, built as back kitchen, has large open fireplace with wood bressumer; winder stairs. First floor: C18 panelled doors: ogee-stopped beams; moulded cornice and mid C18 panelling in room to left; mid C18 cupboard and fireplace in room to right, which has stop-chamfered doorframe to rear. Collar-truss roofs with butt purlins. Initials W/T.E. carved on front are probably those of Thomas Williams (d.1636 and mayor 1630-2) and his wife Elizabeth: the Williams family provided Woodstock mayors and aldermen from the mid C16. (Information from the VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4453616683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253098
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08957/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].