This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1052899

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wootton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252952

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOTTON CHURCH STREET SP4319 (East side) 15/297 Church of St. Mary 27/08/57 GV II* Church. Probable late Saxon origins; mainly mid C13, chancel rebuilt and refenestrated in early C14; early C16 clerestory. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate chancel roof and shallow-pitched lead roofs. Chancel, nave with north aisle and south porch, and west tower. Much restored in (C19 and C20) 4-light reticulated east window; south side of chancel has late C13 Y-tracery window (restored C20), reset C15 head corbel, late C13 pointed roll-moulded doorway and C14 ogee-headed and trefoiled light; rood-skair projection to north. 3-bay north aisle has C19 buttress, early C14 Curvilinear 2-light window and hood mould over blocked 2-centred arched doorway; 3-light east window has ogee over trefoiled lights with mouchettes in spandrels; early C16 two-light round-headed window to west. South side of nave has C19 buttress, 2 early C14 Curvilinear 2-light windows and label moulds over 2 late C14/C15 two-light ogee-headed windows. Fine Early English (mid C13) south porch has arch of 3 orders with hollow-chamfered arches set on engaged shafts with bell capitals; C16 chamfered lights to side walls and hood mould over mid C13 pointed moulded south door with C19 doors; 1623 sundial over porch. Early C16 two-light round-headed clerestorey windows 3 stage west tower, remodelled in C15, has offset corner buttresses; pointed-arched doorway to south stair-turret; early C14 curvilinear west window; C13 lancet to south; C15 two-light louvred belfry lights; C14 crenellated parapet with gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles; probably late Saxon blocked doorway to south. Interior: Mosaic reredos of 1887. Mid C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. Mid C13 four-bay north arcade with double-chamfered arches set on round piers with moulded capitals; mid/late C19 archway to east of arcade. Late C14 octagonal font with convex sides and moulded base. Mid/late C19 arch-braced chancel roof; C17 five-bay tiebeam roof with king studs and C15 and early C16 authropomorphic corbels. C15 hollow-chamfered west archway with moulded capitals to inner order. Mid C19 box pews and Gothic-style pulpit. Monuments: C19 memorial tablets include memorial in chancel to Reverend Charles Lee (d.1841) who endowed Bridge, Parrotts School and Church Cottages (q.v.). C17 and C18 ledger stones, include lozenge-shaped floor memorial dated 1631 in chancel. Baroque Harris Monument, with 1676 date and segmental pediment, to north; broken-pedimented monument to south with Doric triglyphs with guttae to base, commemorates Thomas Dee, d.1735; to east, a pedimented monument with Corinthian pilasters commemorates Charles Crisp, d.1740, and Baroque Monument with urn, swags and skulls commemorates Dorothy and Thomas Crisp, d.1702 and 1701. Nave has wall tablet with urn to Reverend John Gregory, d.1800, stele-type monument to Mary Anne Smallbones, d.1830, and wall monument surmounted by crest to Anne Sotham, d.1777. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp859-860; National Monuments Record; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings, for drawings by R.C. Buckler and other C19 drawings; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp282-3)

Listing NGR: SP4390319882

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 859-60
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 282-3

National Grid Reference: SP 43903 19882

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 11:15:21.

End of official listing