LOCKEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053384
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
LOCKEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOCKEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:02:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOCKEY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Langford
National Grid Reference:
SP2474702732

Details

LANGFDRD CHAPEL LANE (South-west side) SP2402-2502 6/96 Lockey House and attached railings 12.9.55 (Formerly listed as Cotswold House) GV II

House, latterly an inn, now reverted to domestic use. Probably C17, remodelled 1719 (datestone) for John Lockey and again in early C19. Uncoursed limestone rubble, regularly coursed with quoins to front; stone slate roofs with coped verges to main range. This has 3 short hip-roofed ranges projecting at right-angles to rear. 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows to first floor, 18-paned glazing bar sashes (second and fourth from left horned) in moulded stone surrounds replacing narrow segmental-headed windows of 1719. Two similar 9-paned glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds replacing 4 segmental-headed openings on ground floor. Central segmental-headed doorway replaced by moulded round-arched stone surround with projecting keystone; panelled door with St. Andrew's cross pattern to bottom panel and semi-circular fanlight. Two C19 flat-roofed dormers to raised eaves. Left gable end has 2 ogee-arched pigeon nesting holes and ledge below attic window. Datestone "1719" above. Rear: 3 hip-roofed ranges with projecting gullies each have an early C18 mullioned and transomed window on first floor; infilled segmental-headed doorway to centre blocked by lean-to (c.1948). Stone stacks with red brick shafts to corners of main range, probably C18. Interior. Central narrow stone-flagged entrance hall has dado panelling. Early C18 dog-leg staircase to rear has moulded handrail. Square newels and turned balusters to closed string. Panelled window shutters and encased, plastered ceiling beams to front rooms. Small room to left of staircase had fireplace with early C18 stone mantel-shelf; contemporary inset wall cupboard with shell niche. Panelled doors throughout. First floor: front rooms have exposed ceiling beams. Tie beams of earlier roof visible to rear. Attached early C19 spear-headed iron railings on low stone wall to front have superscription "C.HART MAKER WANTAGE". During the house's period as an inn (c.1880-1926) the whole of the first floor could be converted by the removal of partitions into a single club room: it was here that the Langford Whitsun Club met for dinner. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p681; information from owners, Mr. & Mrs. Kemp, May 1987) [2391]

Listing NGR: SP2474702732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253847
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 681

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14336/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].