CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1053441
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 10:52:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Swinbrook and Widford
National Grid Reference:
SP 27987 12147

Details

SWINBROOK AND WIDFORD SWINBROOK SP2712 13/128 Church of St. Mary 12/09/55 GV II*

Church. C11 origins; C12 north aisle; probably C13 south aisle; tower c.1822; C20 vestry and restoration. Uncoursed stone rubble; stone slate roofs, roof to tower not visible. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay aisled nave and west tower. South side: stone porch to left of aisle with 2-centre archway on corbels, and 2-centre inner doorway having C20 plank door. Paired cusped lancets to centre of aisle. 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to right of aisle. Blocked doorway to right of centre. Paired cusped lancets to right return of aisle. Single-light window to left of chancel. Blocked 3-light stone mullion window with cusped lights and hood mould to right of chancel. 4 cusped windows to clerestory. 5-light Rectilinear-tracery window to east end of chancel. North side: C20 vestry with hood moulds to left of centre of aisle, and to right; that to right has ogee-headed lights. 3-light stone mullion window with ogee-headed lights to left of aisle. 4 cusped windows to clerestory. West end: blocked 2-centre-arched doorway to centre. 2-light Reticulated-tracery window above. Tower carried on projecting buttresses. 4-centre-arched openings to each face of tower. Battlemented parapet. Interior: arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel. Fettiplace monuments to chancel, those to left of c.1613 and 1686 each of 3 reclining figures on shelves with ornate round-arched surrounds, that to right of 1743 by James Annis is a marble bust against drapery and cherubs with broken-pediment surround. C15 choir stalls with misericords. 2-centre chancel arch on Romanesque columns. Nave: C20 braced collar-truss roof. Nave arcades of three 2-centre arches on Romanesque piers. C17 wood pulpit on C20 stone stepped base. Fragments of medieval glass to south aisle window. C15 stone font. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp799-801)

Listing NGR: SP2798712147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253687
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 799-801

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09512/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Barnett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].