This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FILKINS MUSEUM, WITH LOCK-UP AND ATTACHED STONE SLAB FENCING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FILKINS MUSEUM, WITH LOCK-UP AND ATTACHED STONE SLAB FENCING

List entry Number: 1053497

Location

FILKINS MUSEUM, WITH LOCK-UP AND ATTACHED STONE SLAB FENCING, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253516

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP2204-2304 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS VILLAGE STREET (North-west side) Filkins 7/194 Filkins Museum, with lock-up and attached stone slab fencing

cGV II Former pair of cottages, the right at one time used as outbuilding, both now serving as museum. Village lock-up is attached to left end, and to front are remains of stone slab fences. Left cottage is early C18 in origin, altered C20; remainder is early-mid C19. Coursed limestone rubble. Left cottage, formerly thatched, now has mid C20 stone slate roof, and large rubble stone chimney to right with stone slated off-sets. Formerly one storey and attic; 2 bays. Ground floor openings, with ammonites set into the walling. Roof has 2 C20 skylights. Right cottage has Welsh slate roof and is taller, formerly of one storey and attic but with floor removed C20. 2 bays, the right blind, the left with later lean-to, formerly a tall entry but now blocked with rubble walling and 2-light casement. Central board door with C20 wooden lintel. 2-light barred wooden casements with older wooden lintels in right gable end. Lean-to extensions to rear, dated 1975, are not of special architectural interest, Lock-up is set in narrow space between walls of left cottage and The Old Post Office. Space is covered by roof of large stone slabs, and has old board door to front with studs, strap hinges and small square grille. Stone bench inside at far end. Included for group value, (Illustrated in Country Life: April 28th 1944, p731)

Listing NGR: SP2381904238

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 28 April, (1944), 731

National Grid Reference: SP2381904238

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 03:22:08.

End of official listing