CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053552

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1973

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (ROMAN CATHOLIC), ARKELL AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (ROMAN CATHOLIC)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 02:54:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (ROMAN CATHOLIC), ARKELL AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Carterton

National Grid Reference: SP 27714 06895

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP20NE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON ARKELL AVENUE (South side) Carterton 2/140 CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH Roman Catholic Church 12/09/73 and Church Hall

GV II Former barn, now Roman Catholic church and church hall. Late C18/early C19, altered c.1930. Coursed rubble limestone with stone slate roofs. Main west range is of 5 bays, with central hipped projection, probably a former cart entry. This now has tall C20 metal casement to front. Left bays have a row of nesting boxes for pigeons, with ledge, just below eaves, and 2 C20 2-light metal casements. Small lean-to in angle with projecting bay. North gable end of this range has C20 circular window, and C20 double doors in moulded stone architrave surround. North range, also of 5 bays, has blocked vent slits and central opposing cart entries, partly blocked and partly with large C20 wooden mullion and transom windows. North entry also has C20 double board doors. In rear angle are a later rubble stone extension with lean-to roof, and a C20 concrete extension with flat roof. Barn borders east side of former yard of Rock Farm, established after the Enclosure Act of 1770, the farmhouse now known as No.45 (Manor Guest House), Lawton Avenue (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SP2771406895

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253450

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing