This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ELMS AND SOUTH ELMS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ELMS AND SOUTH ELMS

List entry Number: 1053595

Location

SOUTH ELMS, BROAD STREET
THE ELMS, BROAD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253349

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON BROAD STREET (East side) 13/42 The Elms and South Elms 12/09/55 (Formerly listed as The Elms)

GV II House, now 2 dwellings. Mid/late C18 front block; rear wing C17/C18 in origin but remodelled C19 and 1895 as dated on tablet; mid/late C19 extension to front right, now South Elms. Limestone, with ashlar front and coursed rubble to remainder. Slate roof, C18 part with coped gables and flanking ashlar chimneys. Chimneys have moulded cornices. 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays. Projecting plinth, first floor band course, moulded cornice, coped parapet. Outer bays have Venetian windows with sashes and raised moulded stone surrounds. Single semi-circular arched sash to centre of first floor in similar surround. 3 gabled roof dormers with paired barred wooden casements and glazed cheeks. Central door is 6-panelled with glazed top panels and octagonal lower panels. Ornamental semi-circular fanlight with semi-circular arched stone hood on shaped stone brackets. Left gable end has large C19 sash with marginal glazing. Rear wing has hipped roofs, ashlar chimneys, and battlemented parapet of 1895. Near bay of this wing has paired 4-pane sashes to each floor; far bay projects, also with 4-pane sashes and slit window. Extension to front right and slit window. Extension to front right has 2 bays of 3-pane sashes with wedge lintels and keyblocks, the upper windows semi-dormers in gables. Arched panelled door in single-storey lobby to right. Interior altered, with rooms to ground floor left remodelled c.1830-40: front bay has moulded segmental arch over side window, on reeded pilasters; rear bay has arched niches with moulded pilasters.

Listing NGR: SP3142303463

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 31423 03463

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 02:28:09.

End of official listing