STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF RUCKLEY GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053602
Date first listed:
29-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF RUCKLEY GRANGE, NEACHLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF RUCKLEY GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 11:45:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF RUCKLEY GRANGE, NEACHLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tong
National Grid Reference:
SJ 78000 06657

Details

SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEACHLEY LANE, Ruckley (West side).

6/46 Stable Block approximately - 20 metres to North-East of Ruckley Grange.

GV II

Stable Block. Circa 1904, by Sir Ernest George and Yates. Roughcast with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Rectangular courtyard plan with North tower and entrance at North-West corner; free Neo-Elizabethan style. 1 storey to North and East and 2 storeys to South and West. Parapeted gable ends and 3 roughcast stacks with cornices. Wooden mullioned and transomed leaded casements. South range: 5 bays. Central entrance with large unmoulded keyed round arch, gabled loft above with boarded door, roof swept down on brackets to right, and central cupola with tile hung base, clock to front, 2-light belfry openings and ogee tile cap with weathervane. Tower: 3 storeys, bracketed cornice, and coped stepped battlemented parapet. Square plan, slightly tapering. Second floor with 3 slit openings on each face; first floor with circular keyed openings to North and West, and boarded loft door to South; ground floor 2-light leaded casements. Courtyard entrance with 2 ogee capped gatepiers and 2 boarded gates with ramped top rail. This building displays many features influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement. N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.237.

Listing NGR: SJ7800006657

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255297
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 237

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].