CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1053645

Date first listed: 26-May-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053645 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:05:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sheriffhales

National Grid Reference: SJ 75802 12032

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 71 SE 4/15

SHERIFFHALES C.P. CHURCH LANE (West side) Church of St. Mary

26/5/55

GV II* Parish Church: C12 and C14 with nave re-roofed and probably re-faced to South. Circa 1661. Chancel probably re-faced to South in C18, tower Circa 1723, and whole restored in 1884. Squared and coursed stone ashlar tower and South facing to nave and chancel. Rendered East nave wall, and chancel and aisle eaves re-built to North. Old tile roofs, separately over nave, aisle and chancel. Four bay nave, North aisle chancel and West tower. Tower: three stages with moulded plinth, set-offs, string courses, and chamfered battlemented parapet, louvred bellchamber openings on each face with two round-arched lights set in larger recessed round arch; small round arched second stage windows to North and South; large, probably early C19 first stage West window with Y-tracery, and two-light square window to South with cast iron ogee tracery; blocked round-arched doorway to North with plain architrave, imposts, and keystone. Clock on top stage to East; tablet on second stage to South inscribed J.W., date illegible at time of re-survey. Nave: moulded eaves cornice and sprocketed eaves to South. South side: two, probably C17 windows to right, with Y-tracery and moulded surrounds; two-light late C19 windows to left with quatrefoil tracery, projecting cill, and hoodmould with carved stops; doorway between first and second windows from left with moulded surround, hoodmould with carved stops, and two boarded doors. North side: small C12 round-arched window and blocked, probably C17, window above, with two re-used carved corbels as brackets, Chancel: moulded eaves cornice to South, post medieval diagonal buttresses to East, and parapeted gable end. South side: two, probably C18 lancets with moulded surrounds flanking central late C19 doorway with chamfered arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and boarded door. East end: large uncusped three-light window. North sides two-light window to right with cusped panelled tracery and blocked door to right with projecting string above. North aisle: dentil brick eaves cornice and parapeted gable end. East end: restored two-light window with cusped Y-tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. North side three partly restored two-light windows with cusped Y-tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. West end: three light C19 window with cusped quatrefoil tracery, and hoodmould with carved stops. Interior: North aisle arcade reputed to have come from Lilleshall Abbey, but this is unlikely; four unequal bays with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, and double chamfered arches. Chamfered tower arch with foliated capitals; carved nave corbel table; six bay double hammer beam nave roof of circa 1661 with double purlins, windbraces, and scrolled brackets, three on the third from last with carved heads; probably C17 painting on East wall of nave, only two outstretched arms remain C19 king post North aisle roof; waggon roofed chancel.

Fittings include: C17 stone font with circular stem and octagonal bowl; irregular octagonal C17 wooden pulpit with raised and fielded panels; seven bay C19 chancel screen with tracered square headed divisions, creating, and rood cross; small C19 North aisle screen; C19 chancel panelling, reredos, and altar rails. Tablet on North wall of chancel to John Blaremore.

Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire p.2631 Kelly's Directory of Hereford and Shropshire. 1917, pp.195.

Listing NGR: SJ7580212032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255193

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 243
'Kellys Directory' in Hereford and Shropshire, (1917), 195-196

End of official listing