COALPORT INCLINED PLANE THE HAY INCLINED PLANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054161
Date first listed:
08-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
COALPORT INCLINED PLANE, COALPORT HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE HAY INCLINED PLANE, COALPORT HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COALPORT INCLINED PLANE
THE HAY INCLINED PLANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 03:49:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
COALPORT INCLINED PLANE, COALPORT HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE HAY INCLINED PLANE, COALPORT HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
The Gorge
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69442 02644

Details

COALPORT COALPORT HIGH STREET 1. 5362 The Hay (or Coalport) inclined plane SJ 6902 17/141

II GV

2. 1793. Built by William Reynolds. The inclined plane connected the Shropshire Canal with a lower canal which ran through the China Works at Coalport to the River Severn. Consists of an incline rising from the lower canal up the hillside for a distance of approximately 200 ft to the disused upper canal. It is the best preserved of the 7 inclined planes of Shropshire. Used for the last time in 1894. Restored in 1968 and 1975. The Rails have been restored. At the upper end are some remains of a slipway and the brick shell of a building (engine house?) with a chimney stack. Scheduled A.M.

Listing NGR: SJ6944202644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362005
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12449/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lishman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].